Just bought a Tyros 2 second hand.

Reaction score
My problem is that even though the Tyros 2 is in perfect condition with speakers and stand plus all the software I will probably ever need, there is no user hard drive installed, and I am not sure what hard drive I need to purchase? I think it is a PATA IDE drive, and not sure what capacity the Tyros 2 can read/use?
Anyone have experience with this model and can help me please?

Reaction score
Good luck IDE HD’s were superseded over 15 years ago by SATA HD’s so you may struggle to find a new one.

Probably plenty of hard drives on the second user sites.

Reaction score
Actually, there are plenty of new and used IDE drives available, but they almost all come from China. I do know a reliable Chinese supplier that I have bought from in the past. But that is not the problem - Before I buy, I need to be sure I am buying the right type of drive with the best storage size the Tyros 2 can take?
Believe me when I say that the Tyros 2 is an absolute dream to use, and comes with almost 1300 preset sounds and 500 styles, with multipads and unlimited registration memory save slots (this is why I need the hard drive specs) and the ability to record your singing whilst playing. The panel voices are as good as the latest top end Yamaha keyboard plus there are at least 500 XG voices USB drive support And it is a virtual recording studio- Look the model up on the Web, even now a near perfect one sells for between £1300 and £1400. I bought mine in an auction for £360 in perfect condition and full working order with the stand and speakers, plus it has a history that would on the right sale site greatly increase it's value! But I will never sell it!
So as you can see, I want to get the right hard drive, sadly the manual does not say!

Reaction score
Found a site online that gave me the information I needed, so I bought the drive from a reputable company in the USA, it is being delivered soon as a priority item. Thank you for your help!

Reaction score
The hard drive arrived OK! But when I removed the user hard drive socket, there was already an 80 gig hard drive installed, so I read that section of the user manual again a little more carefully and figured out how to check if the installed drive was in working order, and it was. So I now have a spare hard drive!

Ask a Question