Just joined the Forum, need help recording into and just learning the Juno88

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I sure hope somebody out there knows this keyboard, it seems like a great machine, but I'm not sure where to begin. I got it a while ago. Since I'm mostly a piano guy, I'm only now trying to figure out all the bells and whistles. Maybe should have started with something much less complicated...

I watched a couple YouTube's on Pattern Sequencing and setting up Favorites, and I tried it out, step by step.
Can't figure out if there's a way to record an entire song into the synth and lock it into its memory bank. Seems like there should be, but if so, I'm not getting it.

Thanks in advance to anybody who can explain this process. I really appreciate whatever help you can offer.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The only sequencer built into the Juno DS is a Pattern Sequencer, NOT a Song Sequencer.

You CANNOT record your keystrokes into the keyboard if you want to save a song.

Instead you'll have to use a USB 2.0 Cable and plug into your computer in order to record MIDI data into a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) Song Sequencer.

A couple of the better free ones out there are Cakewalk By Bandlab and Reaper.

This will ONLY record and play back MIDI data from your keyboard, NOT AUDIO.

To record Audio into the DAW you will also need to send the audio outputs of your board to the computer's built in sound card or a USB Audio Interface.

If all of this is new to you I'd suggest doing a google and youtube search on "Recording MIDI for beginners" and "Home audio recording for beginners."

There' are tons of good tutorials out there.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The only sequencer built into the Juno DS is a Pattern Sequencer, NOT a Song Sequencer.

You CANNOT record your keystrokes into the keyboard if you want to save a song.

Instead you'll have to use a USB 2.0 Cable and plug into your computer in order to record MIDI data into a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) Song Sequencer.

A couple of the better free ones out there are Cakewalk By Bandlab and Reaper.

This will ONLY record and play back MIDI data from your keyboard, NOT AUDIO.

To record Audio into the DAW you will also need to send the audio outputs of your board to the computer's built in sound card or a USB Audio Interface.

If all of this is new to you I'd suggest doing a google and youtube search on "Recording MIDI for beginners" and "Home audio recording for beginners."

There' are tons of good tutorials out there.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks so much, that’s really helpful, Gary.
I actually do have a TASCAM 4x4 unit which I am beginning to understand is the interface you’ve described. This stuff seems so basic yet I still can’t seem to figure it out. Since I have a Mac, I’m also trying to figure out if I can do it with the built in audio recorder Garage Band. But I also have a decent PC laptop, so if I can’t get it goingwith the Mac, I’ll check out CakeWalk.
Thanks again for the quick response!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
REAPER is not free. A lot of people use REAPER's free trial for an unlimited period of time, but they are supposed to do the right thing and purchase a license after the trial period is over if they wish to continue using it legally.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
That's difficult to say. Any DAW can be easy to use once you've familiarized yourself with its features. Cakewalk is completely free, and gas been around for a long time, so it's a well-developed DAW and is a safe place to start as far as how much money you will lose ($0) if it turns out you don't like it and you want to switch to another DAW.

Reaction score
The paid DAWs do tend to have a trial period so it is worth looking at tutorials to get the hang of the basics then download the trial.

The thing is some work better than others in that Reaper for me just did not like my Laptop and so I ditched it, whilst Cakewalk and Ableton work just fine.

But you have a MAC and so you have their free Garage Band DAW and Logic Pro is a very good pro level c$200 DAW.

Reaction score
I have the Juno DS88. I got it about 3 weeks ago. I was concerned that all the stuff that it does is too much for me, but I have been tinkering and like what it does. I will eventually get to using those features.
There is no way to record directly into the Juno as other have said, however, hook it up to garageband via the usb and you will be able to record the sound of the instrument that way.
It took me a few trials to figure out but it works. I was hoping to find something to record directly into it too but this workarounds isn't too much of a hassle.
I don't think you can connect to the ipad and record the instrument sounds, only the garageband sounds ont he ipad.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, the Juno DS has built in DAW integration only for Cakewalk Sonar or Cubase. These should help you choose which DAW to focus on.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I have the Juno DS88. I got it about 3 weeks ago. I was concerned that all the stuff that it does is too much for me, but I have been tinkering and like what it does. I will eventually get to using those features.
There is no way to record directly into the Juno as other have said, however, hook it up to garageband via the usb and you will be able to record the sound of the instrument that way.
It took me a few trials to figure out but it works. I was hoping to find something to record directly into it too but this workarounds isn't too much of a hassle.
I don't think you can connect to the ipad and record the instrument sounds, only the garageband sounds ont he ipad.
BTW, the Juno DS has built in DAW integration only for Cakewalk Sonar or Cubase. These should help you choose which DAW to focus on.

Gary ;)
That DOES make it easier to decide!

Reaction score
Thanks, Lisa. I have been making some progress on the Mac, using Garage Band, I'll keep messing with it as well.

Reaction score
I can't figure out how to use the DAW control on the Juno with garageband. Driving me nutes. it works fine if i use the keyboard controls.
Do you use the "user" configuration?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, If you do end up going with Cakewalk Sonar as your DAW I will attach here a Cakewalk Instrument File which you will understand how to use once you've gone thru a few tutorials on Youtube on how to use the software.

It's a simple ASCII Text File with an INS extension, but zipped because the forum does not accept unzipped files.

I don't mind bragging a bit in saying I am a co-author or contributor after the fact and did a proper debugging on it :)

AFAIK this is the best INS file for the DS out there.

Gary ;)

Attachments

• Roland-Juno-DS-200-ins.zip
    20 KB · Views: 95
Reaction score
Setting kit up on a Mac can be tricky.

This may give you some guidance

Plus the Mac content in the Zendesk doc might help

Reaction score

Gary ;)
As a complete noob just starting out, this was the comment that made me decide to get the DS88, not sure if it's a good thing, but after getting dizzy from days and days of reading on which synth/keyboard to get that's around 1k and was going to research DAW's next, it's a relief that I won't, so thank you from saving me from a self induced coma.

Ask a Question