Just starting with keyboards need advice!!

Reaction score
I wanted to started working with digital keyboards because I love techno music and I want to start making my own music with these keyboards. I am still young, 16 to be exact and I want to get started as soon as possible. I wasn't sure what keyboard to start with but I was looking at that the Yamaha MO8 Synthesizer Workstation. Its a fair price at $1600, and it has a bunch of features. I dont want to go with anything cheap I just want to start with a keyboard that will do me good for a while. P.S. Im open to any suggestions!!!

Thanks,
Southpawjr

Reaction score
Save some money

Just my opinion - I was shopping around for the past 2 months (I'm in my 30's by the way) and I bought a Roland GW-7 synth/workstation. It's about $700 here in NJ, depending on what store.

I thought about buying another one, but the GW-7 is very easy to use, and even with me writing and being in a band, I'll probably use on 20% if it's capability. The product is fantastic. I've had Korgs, Yamaha's and Roland and I love the Rolands.

Save yourself the extra money

Reaction score
Research

I like the way Prada thinks.

I don't have any immediate suggestions for workstations. My advice is to write down a list of things that you want your gear to do (or you want to do with your gear) and then find what gear will do what you want. Then read reviews online about some of the pieces you are seriously considering--then narrow down the price. Oh, and make sure that whatever you get can be expanded (storage, sounds, etc.) without having to spend all your money to do it.

If you do it right, you'll get a good workstation that you can squeeze alot of use out of--and you won't have to take a personal loan from Elton John to be able to afford it.

And when you DO get something, don't "use it up". I mean, take care of it--and it'll take care of you. Heck, I still have a synth from the 80's (I bought it--used--in 1988!) and I still use it.

Reaction score
keys

I would get the korg M3 with the radias card ...........its a bit more cash but you will have EVERYTHING you need for years.

Reaction score
I would buy the MM6.
I bought it a month ago and its the best thing I have ever spent my money on! It's just like the MO8 except it only has 61 keys and its cheaper.

Reaction score
I would buy the MM6.
I bought it a month ago and its the best thing I have ever spent my money on! It's just like the MO8 except it only has 61 keys and its cheaper.

the mm6 is not even close to the MO. The mm6 has 70Mb of ROM, MO has 175, not to mention the functions and insert effects, and MO's double poliphony (32 mm6 - 64 MO)

But if you're a beginner then i believe it's OK, but i think southpawjr wouldn't be satisfied with the MM6, but just like Darla62 I reccomend yamaha's MO.

I ordered mine 2 weeks ago and it should arrive soon.

Reaction score
the mm6 is not even close to the MO. The mm6 has 70Mb of ROM, MO has 175, not to mention the functions and insert effects, and MO's double poliphony (32 mm6 - 64 MO)

But if you're a beginner then i believe it's OK

I'd agree with that. I like my mm6 as a beginner to the whole world of keyboards & synths. It has enough power to play with local bands & jams. It has lots of great sounds which I love. It isn't quite sophisticated enough to do Dream Theater or Rush. It can't do a million arps at once. But the price of $600 is good for beginners. Some of us don't have $1200 y'know:eek:. Maybe I'll upgrade AFTER I become a fulltime musician...:rolleyes:

Ask a Question