keyboard amp - exclusively piano

Reaction score
I'm a pianist with a strong classical background/technique and want to record and do some gigging either solo or with a good jazz drummer I've been playing in a duo with. I'd been using a Yamaha p-250 which I found decent and am fairly set on moving to cp33 (much lighter! and somewhat newer) which from research sounds like it might be the best bet for my price range. Now I'm looking for an amp or powered speakers that will give a realistic piano sound (piano is all I do and probably will do). From what I've read the Mackie 12 thumps sound like they might be the way to go. I've looked through the various forums but most of the posts are five years old or so, so I'm looking for suggestions.

Reaction score
+1 on above posts. I've a Behringer B210D - similar quality to the Mackie Thumps - ok for just about everything except piano.

The EV mentioned first (ZLX12P) in the post above is the current favourite price/quality compromise over on "The Keyboard Corner" (another forum). I've recently acquired an EV ZXa1 fo the sort of gig you're talking about. Very light, sounds good for piano but not very loud.

@delaware dave did you get a chance to A/B the more expensive EV (that you have) against the newer ZLX12P?

@DavidR - in addition to the (older) CP33 it may be worth checking out the newer Casio PX-5S (light and inexpensive) and the newer Yamaha (heavier but not too bad) CP4 and CP40.

Welcome to the forum btw.

Reaction score
@delaware dave, did you get a chance to A/B the more expensive EV (that you have) against the newer ZLX12P?
I directly compared the K10, K12, ELX112P and ZLX12P. Of the 4 speakers I thought the EV's sounded the best. Of the EV's, I thought the ELX sounded a little warmer. My belief is that this is due to the wood construction of the ELX whereas the ZLX is ABS (as well as the K10/12's). At higher volume I found the ELX's warmness to be the overriding factor for me. I also found the ELX to be the loudest of the 4 speakers (although the K12 was about as loud). The ELX is rated at 132db SPL while the ZLX was 126, the K10 129 and the K12 131db. Being in a very loud band the extra db's also played into the decision. The con's on the ELX are the wood construction; many reports of how easily the wood dings; you have to treat the ELX with kid gloves. The other big con is that the carrying bar of the handle is horizontal to the ground rather than vertical; this means that when carrying the speaker the knuckles of your hand are facing forward rather than the natural position of them facing to your outside. This does make it a little more awkward carrying the speaker as the hand position is unnatural. The ZLX corrected this as the carrying bar is vertical to the ground so that when carrying the speaker your hand position is more natural. The ELX only has the one handle (on the right side of the speaker) and I believe that the ZLX has handles on the top of the speaker. From a weight perspective, I believe the K10 was 32 pounds, K12 41 pounds, ZLX 33 pounds and ELX 36 pounds. The ZLX also offers more EQ'ing options than the ELX. In the end the slightly more warmness of the ELX and the extra 6 db of SPL was the kicker for me. In my mind I figured I could drive the ELX to the same sound level as the others without driving the amp as much as the others would have to be driven to achieve the same volume. I am very careful with the speaker and so far no scratches nor dings. The pricing of QSC K's made them non contenders when for me and they sounded harsher at loud volume and the K10 was not as loud (although the K12 was about as loud as the ELX). I also was able to get the ELX at a $399 price new and free shipping.

Reaction score
This is a great comparison delaware dave. The ELX sounds like exactly what I'm looking for but I don't see it anywhere near $399 so far. Would you mind saying where you got it at this price?

Reaction score
Proaudiostar.

Here is a customer return for $409.

http://www.proaudiostar.com/electro-voice-elx112p-two-way-powered-loudspeaker.html

Here is a store floor model for $408:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EV-Electro-...o_Audio_Speakers_Monitors&hash=item4621b35eba

If you contact Proaudiostar ask them their best price on a new one. I have bought other floor models from them and you'd never know they weren't new. They also should come with a full warranty. Personally, I would look at the store floor model for $408.

Reaction score
Contacted Proaudiostar Dave and they had a new one for $425! Bought it and it's on the way. Thanks for the really great advice. Huge help.

Reaction score
Thanks for the information everybody. I just purchased a used Yamaha MOX8 and am looking at pa speakers for home use & possible small gigs. The acoustic piano sound is the most important factor for me. I am on the verge of purchasing a pair of Yamaha DXR8s, or DXR10s, which have great reviews. But I did see that some reviewers thought they were great for everything BUT acoustic piano sounds. Does anyone have an opinion on these? Or has compared them to the ELX112P? I will seriously consider ELXs if they are definitely better...but really wanted something smaller.

Ask a Question