Keyboard Amp Reccomendation

Reaction score
Greetings All,
I just bought a Juno DS88, I have been using a Casio with a built in speaker system that works fine in my music room. When I got the new board I realized I need an amp. I do not want to set up my PA to practice piano. Any recommendations for a small practice amp that sounds good and won't cost an arm and a leg. As I mentioned , I have a PA so it's not a wattage issue. It also seems that many of the Roland patches are stereo. Is there an amp that can (simulate) that effect?

Reaction score
Welcome.

This has been asked quite a few times recently and a search if past posts will give plenty of the results you seek.

Are you specifically after an amp or will powered speakers serve your needs?

If you can put a value on your arm and leg then the suggestions will be within your budget.

Reaction score
Welcome.

This has been asked quite a few times recently and a search if past posts will give plenty of the results you seek.

I saw that after posting my question. I apologize for the redundancy. I think I already found my answer.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you just need something cheap and quick for practice sessions visit your local music store and pick up a small used Peavey Bass Amp or keyboard amp for around $70 or so.

This was my solution when I was first starting out and it was perfectly acceptable. It was a small 30 watt Peavy Bass Amp and it was plenty good enough for practice.

Otherwise consider a small set of studio monitors. Computer speakers will do in a pinch as well as long as they are 2.1 type with a subwoofer and all you need are adapters for the connectors. They'll work great for under $100.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi all. First time on this site so be gentle. Got a Roland KC150 amp that's finally given up the ghost. I've been browsing what's out there and noticed the Vox vx50. It has good reviews and at under 5kg in weight seems too good to be true. I've just joined a new 5 piece band and was wondering if it would be powerful enough for rehearsals. As for gigging I'd use it as a monitor and go through the P. A. any other recommendations would be welcomed.

Reaction score
Welcome Patch.

I have not tried the VX50 amp for a keyboard but have tried the Bass version in a Music Store and was very impressed by it, light, reasonably powerful, well made and it had a good tone.

We did have a forum member buy one and he was impressed with it.

As you suggest, it would be OK for monitor use.

rsm

Reaction score
I just picked up a pair of Alto TS315 powered PA cabs, specs are here: https://www.altoprofessional.com/products/ts315 On sale in the US, for US$279.99 each. Delivered yesterday, and got them set up but was too late to try them, will do so later this evening.

I play mostly organ, and the low C (C1) is 32.69Hz, these get close, going down to frequency response: 50 Hz, and low end frequency range down to 43 Hz, so hopefully I won't need or want a sub.

When I was shopping for a good amplification solution for my organs I noticed there aren't many dedicated keyboard amp options, and I also want stereo. The Alto TS315 are too bulky and heavy to schlepp around...

I still don't have a good monitoring solution, thinking maybe in-ears or just use open-back headphones to hear myself without blocking everything else. ;)

Reaction score
Greetings All,
I just bought a Juno DS88, I have been using a Casio with a built in speaker system that works fine in my music room. When I got the new board I realized I need an amp. I do not want to set up my PA to practice piano. Any recommendations for a small practice amp that sounds good and won't cost an arm and a leg. As I mentioned , I have a PA so it's not a wattage issue. It also seems that many of the Roland patches are stereo. Is there an amp that can (simulate) that effect?
I have been using a Behringer B115D as a keyboard monitor/Amplifier. These speakers are relatively inexpensive, and they sound pretty good. I have owned several different keyboard amps in the past, by Peavey, Fender, Hartke and Roland, and they’ve all had their issues: Heavy, bulky, lacking power, connectivity issues, and so on. The powered speaker has worked out well for me.

Ask a Question