Keyboard for a newbie

Reaction score
Hey Guys and Girls!

Ok so i know this must be a question that comes up a lot, but I was wondering if you could recommend a set of keys based on what I am after/experience level.....

SO I am a sax player... I am looking at getting a keyboard for many small reasons, but mainly as I develop my blues and jazz theory and vocabulary I want to use something to help me with such a deep well of information, and I think it wise to use a keyboard for this ( like actually playing chords then playing over them on the horn etc etc..... plus learning a new instrument will not be too bad! ). Also, it needs to have some sort of midi interface as I would like to hook it up to Logic x which I am also learning at this time. I am not too worried about different voices etc, as the sort of things I want to record into logic will be straight piano, sax, harmonica and some vocals. I already have a good shure mic and small tube pre amp.

so maybe a really good digital piano with excellent sound? I had a crack at a yamaha np31 and found it agreeable but did not really know what i was looking at. I have already had a good recomendation but wanted to get a wide set of views and info before buying anything. I dont think I would go for anyhting with less than 61 keys as i like to sit in front of a whole instrument ( based on a very limited amount of time on a machine) Price wise I dont mind spending to get quality goods that will last, but also am looking to upgrade to a pro horn soon so nothing in the thousands!

Any and all suggestions will be thoroughly researched!

thanks for reading!

Dan

Reaction score
Price wise I dont mind spending to get quality goods that will last, but also am looking to upgrade to a pro horn soon so nothing in the thousands!

Just for clarification, when you say 'thousands' I'm guessing you are referring to New Zealand dollars?

Reaction score
Hi Becky!

Yes that's right I am working in NZ dollars. One other member suggested the Casio PX5S which has just come on sale for just under a grand at the rockshop.... There are a few keyboards that look like uprights but I won't have the space for them unfortunately so it also needs to be portable sized!

The Y_man

Reaction score
Do you:
- need weighted keys (heavy like a piano)
- just want the piano sounds or want the thing to pump out backing as well (an "arranger")

The Y-man

Reaction score
Hi Y man....

I think I would like weighted keys if it came writhing the price range. I don't plan to spend twenty years mastering the piano as sax is my no.1 instrument, but to be able to use it enough to learn and jam with, and sit down at a real piano for a tinker would be great.

Right now I am looking at the whole as a piano ( different piano voices would be great ). I do not have any plans to get into other voices or backing as an arranger would but do need it to be able to plug into a computer to record my playing etc.

I'm really after quality over quantity here. Something that sounds as pure as can be is more important than having lots of tricks up its sleeves.

Thanks!

Dan

Ask a Question