Keyboard-Module Suggestions?

Reaction score
The Prophet 08 sold for about 4 grand new.

$1500 is a great price.

It's an all analog board used by tons of pro bands.

If it was going here for that price I'd definitely be considering dropping the cash on it.

It's made by Dave Smith Instruments.

Google it. It's a steal.

Edit >>> It may actually be stolen!! ::eek:

Gary ;)
You were right, looks like it's gone :( . I was thinking more about getting it myself. That was an almost new one. I was also noticing the price of old mini moogs, WOW! Can't believe they are so high and I don't really see anyone actually using them much on youtube. I'm guessing cowboy wouldn't even have much use for one?

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It's hard to say anything about that Roland. The seller doesn't list a lot of details.

Depending on how many times it's been passed around, overall condition and how stable the oscillators are it could be a real gem for the price.

I'd have to visit it and see for myself how ell it is functioning and whether or not all the controls and keys are working and up to spec.

As for the Prophet. That's a far more realistic price and actually it's a quite decent price for the unit. It sounds like it's been babied all its life and that makes for a well treated and non abused instrument.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I'd probably get the roland but I have to see if the guy will call back and if I can arrange someone to get it. It says "text" so I don't know if my call went thru. I dont have text or know how to use it.

Reaction score
Any recommendations for a synth vst with GM-1,2 presets or something so I can play midi files and get rid of my lousy MS synth default? I usually don't have my keyboards on or connected. Maybe that's a dumb or wrong route, not sure.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
No, that isn't dumb at all. :)

One option that seems to be very popular with some people is to use a program called VirtualMIDISynth:

http://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth

You can use your choice of soundfonts with it, but one that's very popular is the "Timbres of Heaven" soundfont:

http://midkar.com/soundfonts/index.html

It's GM-, GS-, and XG-compatible, meaning that when it receives a given Bank Select MSB/LSB and Program Change combination it will select the correct GM, GS, or XG voice.

But be aware that the voice might not sound like it does on your keyboard(s), since the GM, GS, and XG standards do not specify what the voices must sound like-- hence the GM Acoustic Grand Piano (Program 1) on one keyboard/synth can sound different than the GM Acoustic Grand Piano on another keyboard/synth, as long as it sounds like an acoustic grand piano; and likewise the various XG voices might sound different from instrument to instrument.

Reaction score
okay, I'll try that TY!!! I just downloaded UVI you mentioned earlier in the thread. I downloaded the UVI workstation since it's free (I think). I'm not sure what it's for or how to use it yet but I was finally able to get it to play its demos and get sound out of it.
I should mention, maybe I shouldn't have started this back up yet but maybe I never will have solid continual time to look into all this so it may just be here and there hit and miss when I take breaks or have the time. I might be able to average an hour or two working on music stuff every few days. Just letting you know I may seem to disappear and keep popping back up with little progress :) .

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Yes, UVI Workstation is completely free; there are no "catches" per se.

This seems to be a common tactic with companies that sell sampled sound sets-- they provide their sample player free of charge, often with a free sound set containing a relatively small number of sounds.

Then they have more sound sets for sale which require the player.

That way they can get you using their sample player and whet your appetite, and when you're hungry for more you can buy the specific sound sets you're interested in.

UVI has a number of sound sets for sale-- some are orchestral instruments, others are pianos, or organs, or synths, etc.

I have a few UVI sound sets; the first one I bought was a special synth collection that was supposedly produced for Guitar Center in honor of their 50th anniversary, and (if I remember correctly) the deal was that if you bought another product you would get the synth collection free, so I bit. :)

Then I bought a few of the less-expensive sound sets when they went on sale.

Ask a Question