Keyboard Movement - Stand Stability Dilemma

Reaction score
Keyboard Stand Stability Dilemma

I use a WS640 Quiklock keyboard stand which I had for over 20 years. Works great, but over time it has become a bit rusted and beat up. I started a discovery process of online reviewing to find a different style/configuration and have found quite a few that have caught my attention. The one thing I’ve found is that they all have a problem of keeping the keyboard solid and preventing any movement of the keyboard itself, while playing. The last thing I need is a moving target while trying to play. The stability (zero movement) of the keyboard is the first priority in my selection of a new stand. I.e., in a YouTube video review of the K & M 18810 Omega table-style keyboard stand, the user demonstrates the wild movement of the keyboard even after his attempt to rig a stabilizing series of braces to prevent it, to no avail. See this link:

The problem with almost all of these stands is that the keyboard is held in place by two points of contact where the keyboard sits. The Quikloc WS640 has three points of contact. The two arms it rest upon and a third brace in the middle which runs completely across the back bottom of my keyboard, from left to right. It has four adjustable legs, and with the center bar, this is quite a stable stand. It would take quite a jolt to topple it over, and there is absolutely zero movement of the keyboard while playing it. In fact, the heavier the keyboard, the more stable it becomes. Plus, it folds up nicely to a “T” shape for easy transport.

I like the looks of some of these new stands and their capability to add accessory add-ons, but my basic knowledge of physics tells me that pounding the keys on one of these contraptions is going to cause movement of the keyboard just like the aforementioned cited video. In addition, I can see that they could easily be accidently toppled over on a crowded bandstand.

I may be nuts, but chasing keys on a moving keyboard (even if only slightly), is not my cup of tea. I’m likely to just order a new Quikloc WS640.

I really like the look of the K & M 18810 (or the folding 18820), and it comes in a “Nord Red” color, which looks really slick, but the movement issue is non-negotiable. I don’t think these designer engineers are actually keyboard players.

The Ultimate Support JS MPS1 table-type stand is a disaster waiting to happen. The rails are bare metal and offer no grip while the keyboard is resting on it. The rails should at least be coated with a non-slip rubber-type substance. Again, basic physics relegates this design to being highly unstable should it be accidently bumped; the four legs are not that widely separated from each other. It’s a very narrow profile. https://www.ultimatesupport.com/products/jamstands-js-mps1-multi-purpose-keyboard-mixer-stand

“Z” configured stands do not lend me much confidence either.

Epic keyboard stand failure:

Maybe I’ll just give up keyboard playing and switch to playing a piccolo. Then I can just put it in my pocket and carry it to a gig.

Any comments out there would be greatly appreciated.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Get a Z stand. Solid as a rock.

I use an Onstage but there are other brand alternatives.

Does not vibrate no matter how hard I whack the keys.

Reaction score
I have a K & M 18810, it is solid, well made and suits me.

I also bought the second tier but only use it with a board on it as a shelf

Reaction score
Even my X-Stand (shame on me for even mentioning such an animal) doesn't exhibit any keyboard movement. I've used 72 pound keyboards and currently use an 11 pound keyboard and all sizes/weights in between over 30 years and none of my keyboards move, slide, etc.. Not sure where you are getting your information from (oh wait, it was from your basic knowledge of physics). :D

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
To be fair Dave, stand quality and player energy during performance are two extremely subjective factors in this equation.

What happens in your studio does not necessarily make the same equipment demands as, say, Blue Man Group :D

Reaction score
The basic laws of physics, 40 years of playing gigs on electronic keyboards, and the link to the video of the keyboard moving violently atop the K & M 18810. A keyboardist cannot have control over moving targets (keys) if he is doing anything other than just comping chords.

Lets keep the dialogue going. A firm and non-moving keyboard and stand is a prerequisite before the gig even starts.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There have been dozens of keyboard stand threads here over the past decade.

My suggestion is to read a few of those.

It's all been said before.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
And 2 points of contact makes no difference if they can be moved close enough to the ends of the keyboards.

X stands don't open wide enough.

Z stands can be adjusted wider to avoid this rocking action which terrifies you.

Table stands move the support points right to the far ends.

Basically anything is better than an X stand for an 88 keyboard.

And if the board is too light, then consider using velcro to attach it to the stand.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
My kurzweil weighs 54 lbs and it does not budge a millimeter no matter how hard I pound it.

Studio-2023-IMG-0911-20230109-T083616-0025.jpg

Reaction score
happyrat1...............you know, you could visit an optometrist and have those eyes fixed! Just kidding. I appreciate your input. Still accessing the options. BTW, that's quite an operation you have set up there. Enjoyed your sound track links.

There is a music store in Kansas City that has the K&M 18810 and Z-type stands in stock. I plan on visiting to get a hands on perspective.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Thanks, most of my stuff was done with a Linux computer.

Now after 25 years I've switched from Linux to Apple..

BY GOD!!! IF you think buying good gear is pricey, you'll find out what robbery is at the Apple Store... :p

Anyway, trying to get back up to speed as quickly as possible.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hey my K&N has a Numa Compact 2X on top of it, the keyboard is light, very light.

If a keyboard is going to move on a stand it is a light one, basic law of physics it takes less force to move a light object, mine does not move but I am not built like an ape so do not pound the keys.

I did have a two tier Z stand, not the same make as Gary suggests mine was a Hercules and the keyboards did move not a lot but move they did, so not all Zee’s are rock solid.

I had a Z stand by Roland, it was solid but no second tier was available so it was sold.

Reaction score
Check YouTube for videos about building keyboard stands from drumset components. The tubing is large- diameter steel, and the joints are quite rigid. Gibraltar is one maker of the components.

. Charles

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
One important question nobody's asking.

Is this to be a stationary rig or is it going to be gigged?

Ask a Question