Keyboard prices

Reaction score
I've recently bought a Nord Stage2 76 key... I own a Kurzweil PC3 76 key and a Kurzweil PC361............And I noticed the price I paid for my Kurz was considerably less the the Nord........About $2000.00 less. Has Kurz had a dip in prices? Or Does it cost more to make a Nord? Both have 76 keys.........Nord has weighted keys and the Kurz has semi weighted. Is that a factor......Both are very fine keyboards......Just wondering

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I think the main reason Nord sells for double the price is a combination of snob appeal and smaller market than Kurzweil. Then again I think the Kurzweils are far more popular in Asia and Europe than they are in North America.

I had a hard time finding my PC3K8 from a Canadian vendor this summer while just about everyone it seems carries Nord around here.

Also, according to the guy I bought it from, he mentioned that about ten years ago Kurzweil had a problem with key weights dropping off the keybeds and causing warranty headaches for the retailers.

Even though the problem has long since been fixed with the Fatar Keybeds nowadays, I think North American retailers are a little gun shy about Kurzweils these days.

Gary

Reaction score
Well, if the key weights fell off of the Kurzweils, then they fell off nearly everyone's keyboards since Fatar is the most popular keybed produced....

You mentioned the PC361 and the PC3 (which I own). The entire PC3 series was discontinued a few years ago. The PC3 series was replaced by the PC3K series; Kurz then came out with the LE line. Once the PC3 series was discontinued and the PC3K series took its place in the market, distributors marked the PC3 series down in order to blow out the remaining inventory and make room for the more expensive PC3K series. Suggested retail on the PC3 was $2830, however I paid less than half of that for mine once it was considered discontinued. Same thing for the PC361, they were also blown out. The PC3K7 is 'generally' $2995 on Ebay, still way less than the Stage 2. IMHO the Kurzweil will run circles around the Nord. The Nord has a better piano and B3, but in virtually every other category the Kurz sound better. The orchestral sounds of the PC3 are considered world class and the Kurz is hands down the best MIDI controller.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
From what the guy told me, it was before they went with Fatar keybeds in their stage pianos. He said since they went with Fatar they've been clear sailing.

Then again the new SP5-8 is using yet another brand of keybed now. I haven't tried one yet but I've heard some people really hate it.

Reaction score
Well, if the key weights fell off of the Kurzweils, then they fell off nearly everyone's keyboards since Fatar is the most popular keybed produced....

IMHO the Kurzweil will run circles around the Nord. The Nord has a better piano and B3, but in virtually every other category the Kurz sound better. The orchestral sounds of the PC3 are considered world class and the Kurz is hands down the best MIDI controller.
What I found though

True I adore the horns, voices, and strings of the Kurz. And the pianos are great also...I get a really nice growl out of some of the B3 settings...it's the VAST tones..it's a fabulous all round keyboard. But the Nord is so much easier to do things on the fly. I found it more user friendly in a live situation. A good example is the use of the portamento. You play your mini mood sounds on both boards and you née to throw in a glide. You have to jump through hoops to get it on the Kurz. The Nord.....you just flip the switch and do it all the adjustments are right there. Not going through menus. The good and frustrating thing with the Kurz is it is all about the presets...when adding effects or tweaking synth adjustments it's a pain. The whole Nord architecture is right in front of you...it has more knobs than switches. I am so happy with these three boards.....my next goal is to figure out the arpegeators and sequensors on these things. I've seen youtube videos of people using them on both keyboards and I'm impressed. The PC3 is discontinued huh? Oh we'll that's technology for ya.

Ask a Question