keyboard wars! CME UF80 vs VMK 188 plus

Reaction score
HELP.

i'm trying to get my home recording studio setup going. i'm doing the conventional keyboard controller + software (logic) + mac computer. i'm pretty much set with most of my gear, but i'm frustratingly torn between the two master keyboard controllers: the CME UF80 and the VMK 188 plus. they both have great things to recommend them and horrible awful things to turn off prospective buyers. if i could somehow combine the two, that would be PERFECT, but alas, i cannot. here are the pros and cons for both:

CME UF 80
PROS
-good, sturdy keyboard. nice action, great playability.
-good controller; easy to use and assign.

CONS
-****ty manual... vague and poorly translated into english.
-MANY complaints about weird mechanical clacking sound on some keys.

VMK 188 PLUS
PROS
-AMAZING PLAYABILITY! every review i've read has PRAISED this keyboard's action, feel, and weight. apparently comes very close to a real piano...

CONS
-not a very good controller. setting up presets is difficult, tedious, and long. not easy to use realtime control/presets.
-manual sucks and the legend on the keyboard is black print on a black surface... annoying to read.

so. i've done my research, but haven't actually played the things. i can't seem to find any music stores that carry one or both. i do need a keyboard soon and must decide between the two of them (only decent ones in my price range). which one should i go with? the manageable controller with the clacking keys? or the keyboard with nothing to recommend it but it's feel?

i'm looking for the closest thing to an acoustic piano i can afford, but with DEFINITE midi controlling capabilities. PLEASE, if anyone has played, owned, or heard anything good/bad about these two keyboards, let me know!

thanks so much

Ask a Question