Keyboard with MIDI mappable key lights?

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for a full size keyboard (about 61 keys) with MIDI and key lights that can be controlled via MIDI. Ideally Id like keys that have multiple leds of different colours (if they exist!) and can have the brightness adjusted (duty cycle for the leds or similar).

Does anyone know of any - again, ideally in the low-end price-range?

I dont need to much else in the way of features, maybe just a pitch bend wheel. The main priority is the keys with lights. Ill be using the keyboard as a MIDI controller and need the lights (or similar system) to know the 'status' of the button (pressed /unpressed etc) or the thing it controls.

Thanks,
Dale.

Reaction score
Sorry I have no idea of any keyboards that do what you're after. However thinking about it, if you're any good with a Dremmel and a soldering iron it wouldn't be too difficult to retro fit lights onto a cheap keyboard, just time consuming and laborious.

The Y_man

Reaction score
Might be better to connect a midi controller to a laptop/keyboard to see the midi signals on a graphic display - seen something like it - can't remember what it was...

The Y-man

Reaction score
thanks for the replies.

programmable LEDs in the keys themselves would make it easier to keep track of button presses, but maybe graphical display could work. Id just have to keep looking between screen and keyboard when using the keyboard.

If its a graphical display, it would have to be like a 61 keyboard on the screen, with keys that can change colour according to the status of the key. It wouldnt be just on and off though. Im using the keyboard to control software, and the keybrightness and colour of the key would be the indicator of the status of whatever that key is controlling. So for example one key would turn on an effect, and the next two keys turn up / down the effect volume etc. On the graphical display Id need the keys which Im playing with to change colour or brightness according to the volume level they are setting. ie. on the screen the keys would need to change colour. I hope I have explained it clearly.

Anyone know any onscreen keyboard program that could do that?

Reaction score
I think I understand what you're trying to do, control a non-musical piece of software using a keyboard based midi controller?
Why not use something like one of the novation "non-keyboard" based MIDI controllers? I think some of those have lights onboard to indicate the status of each controller.

Reaction score
yes thats it. control other software and equipment with it.

Good tip about the novation product. I already have a novation launchpad .

I want to map out a keyboard now.

Ask a Question