Korg SV-1 vs Roland FP-7F

Reaction score
Hi all

I know these keyboards are very different and built for very different purposes but I'll explain what I do and what I'm after.

I'm a pro keyboard player, I play on musicals and on shows that usually provide me with a keyboard and preprogrammed patches. However I am looking for a keyboard that I can use to practice on at home, and maybe occasionally gig. I want something that has great action, really nice feel, and lets me practice with ease (I like the built in speaker idea on the Roland) but something that also sounds really really convincing on a gig.

I know the Roland is the best choice for home practice and probably very passable in most gigging situations but something is drawing me to the Korg. I love the sounds on it and I know it's the 'keyboard players' choice.

Which is best?! The Roland is about 25% more expensive than the Korg too.

Reaction score
Try playing them both back-to-back if you can. I haven't had the experience, but I've heard the weighted action is worse on the Korg than a comparable Roland or Kurzweil.

The Korg also has a lousy selection of organ effects, but you can use the software to modify it.

I imagine the Korg SV-2 will have some kind of modeled drawbars, and then I shall break down and get it. :)

Reaction score
The weighted action RH3 keybed on the Korg SV-1 is great for me, but actions are very personal (I like a heavy action, most Roland pianos I've played are too light), so you'll have to try it out yourself. There have been reports of people having reliability issues with the RH3 keybed used on the SV-1 (and the Kronos 88). The SV-1 has the best sampled Rhodes I've ever used - not so much in how accurate the samples are, but in how they respond to being played. The real plus points of the SV-1 are the tube-basd amp sims that are a huge part of why the Rhodes patches work so well, and the simple one-button-per-function user interface.
The Acoustic Pianos are usable, but not up with the very best.
The organs are very much an emergency stopgap, but on an 88-note weighted keyboard, why would they be anything else (although Spider Spence clearly expects more!) ?

Just try a few pianos yourself. There are very few complete lemon products out there - it's mostly down to personal preference. Try the Yamaha CP series as well, and the Nord Stage.

Reaction score
The Korg has a Tube in it.

An actual Tube.

I'd buy it just beacuse of that. Tubes are wickedly good at warming up a sound and making it sound more retro.

Reaction score
I know these keyboards are very different and built for very different purposes but I'll explain what I do and what I'm after.

Ask a Question