Korg TR76

Reaction score
anyone here in the forum using one of these synths? I'm looking to replace my Ensoniq ZR76 real soon and I am looking for opinions. I need good piano, strings, synths and woodwinds ie saxes.

Reaction score
i had a TR76 a few months ago... I sold it after 2 weeks :)

Don't get me wrong... it's a great keyboard, but it didn't have what I needed...

1. Pianos... They sound OK between the second and through half third octave...
anything higher than that sounds like bells... So i was really disappointed with piano sounds.

2. Strings... they're OK but there's not many of those massive ones

3. Synths... I don't use them, and all of them sound the same to me :)

4. woodwinds/saxes... I don't use them either but TR has... average woodwinds sounds.

If you're on a tight budget you can go for the TR and after try to buy some piano samples and a sampling add-on, but if you do have the right amount of money, I would
recommend trying some of the yamaha keyboards.

Something like S90 ES which has all of the motif ES sounds + some extra high quality piano samples, but since that's a stage piano, maybe it would be better to get a motif es (i own one so i know what i'm talking about :))

If you're into KORG's keyboards, you could try the new M3. I've heard they did a good job on pianos (finally).

Keyboards mentioned above (Motif ES, S90 ES, M3) are high end keyboards, but like I said, if you're on a tight budget, you can try to find something used. Maybe the motif classic or a triton with piano samples (yea yea... i don't like triton's piano sounds either :))

Reaction score
I own a Korg Triton Extreme(so I know what I'm talking about),so if you want the best possible piano,strings,wind & synth sounds in a keyboard workstation for under 2 grand,then the Extreme is the way to go.

The only drawback though,is that the 61 note Extreme,is the only one available for purchase(new).

However though,if you have the surplus green to lay down 2 to 3 grand,then the Korg M3 or the Yamaha Motif XS will do you justice.

Kurzweil,undoubtedly,has by far,the most authentic piano samples in the world,as well as having other stellar sounds & also boasting one of the most powerful synth engines on the market today,especially for thier price point.

If you really want to go for it and you have $4,000 to spend,look into buying a workstation form Kurzweil's K2-series line of keyboards.

There's alot of objectivity when it comes to piano sounds on pro keyboards,but with the exception of the Korg Oasys,a Kurzweil K2 keyboard is the very next best thing to having a real grand piano.

Opinions do vary,but check them all out & demo them for yourself.

Elwood

Reaction score
I am a piano player by trade....but when i buy a board, i buy a synth because i want the extra sounds...when buying a synth, some have better sounds than others....its a matter of personel preference, and what sounds good to you...BUT when you buy a synth, and not a stage piano, the synth NEVER has the best piano sounds that are available for that board...they put some good ones in the usually, but they SAVE the BEST ones so you have to BUY an expansion board with the STELLAR piano sample....its a marketing ploy(that works very well by the way)....I have a Kurzweil sp88 stage piano, a motif es rack , a Kurzweil PC2r rack mod, and now a Roland juno G..(I'll stop there)..the sp88 has the best pianos for LIVE use, but i dont like the way they 'track" in a mix when recorded...I use the yamaha piano sounds intead...i think they track better and "sit" in a mix better..(that goes back to personel prefereance and what you think sounds good and what are you gonna use it for)....As far a "real sounding" accoustic instruments "overall" ie;brass, strings, winds, etc..kurzweil and yamaha top the list IMO

peace

Keyplayer

Reaction score
I appreciate the info and opinions. I don't think I could swing a $4K keyboard, but 1500 may be doable. There just doesn't seem to be much offred in the 76 keys, unless you jump up in price, but the 88 keys have a better range. I looked at the Yamaha's and seems alot of the keyboards are more suited for home use rather than stage and playing out at gigs, they seem to have headphone outs and built-in speakers. Kurzweil is a good option, do they come with a good set of strings, woodwinds, etc? Any comments on this one?
http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-KUR-PC1SE.html
I was kinda wondering about a stage piano, but figured I'd lose all the synth sounds I need for playing (all 2 of 'em haha) Thanks guys!

Reaction score
I own a Korg Triton Extreme(so I know what I'm talking about),so if you want the best possible piano,strings,wind & synth sounds in a keyboard workstation for under 2 grand,then the Extreme is the way to go.

TR is not even CLOSE to the extreme :D

Reaction score
I've been looking at alot of keyboards and I'm thinking the Yamaha MO8 is the one, its about $1600 which is at the top of my price range, but appears to have all I want in a synth and wife's agreement factor ...any comments on this keyboard? thanks ROT

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...sizer-Workstation-with-DAW-Control?sku=701599

Like I said before, the MO is a best buy keyboard in its price range.
It has almost all motif ES sounds (ES has over 750, and MO has around 500),
it has the same sound engine, and the same wave rom size (175mb).

Just for comparison... TR has 64Mb and also around 500 presets...

One thing that the MO has and ES hasn't is more user performances. ES has 128, and MO has 256, but believe me... i can't fill 50 of them :)
(someone correct me if i'm wrong)

And yup... yamaha has a way better piano sample than KORG.

I wish you plenty of hours playing on your new thingy :)

Reaction score
Thanks Sysryn...I'm sure I'll enjoy playing the new thingy if I ever decide on which one I want :) the MO8 is in my price range at the moment, can anyone say anything about the Kurzweil PC1se...I appreciate all the help here...and if money was no object, yeah I'd have a full blown top of the line Motif. Thinkin' Stevie Wonder can't be all wrong in the ears department. :cool:

Reaction score
i love it,, i played in a store everyday from last thursday until saturday... I really love it, the sounds are great, and i like the features, for sampling, only need EXB-SMPL to make TR great... I'd not buy the 76, but TR88...

Ask a Question