Korg Wavestate, Honest First Impressions...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Technologically incredible with the build quality of a $100 Casio.

The 37 keyboard is so loosey goosey as to be pretty much unplayable.

The entire build is plastic and is so light they installed suction cups on the bottom to keep it from sliding away on a table.

That was the ugly.

Now for the good.

It has a unique vector controlled arpeggiator engine multiplied by 4 simultaneous layers with differential step lengths allowing for some pretty amazing syncopation and complex evolving harmonies.

What it really is, in a nutshell, is ground breaking sequencer in a fully functional virtual analog synth package.

Workflow is pretty intuitive without too much menu diving, but there are at least 50 or 60 knobs and buttons on the control panel and it will take a bit of time to create your own patterns and sequences.

The sounds it produces out of the box range from crunchy to otherworldly and the performance banks are fully populated allowing you to reshape the presets to your liking. 4 Banks by 16 Presets.

In my case, I have it currently MIDIed up to my Juno DS as controller and I think it is perfectly functional as a module, but trying to play that POS keyboard on it is a futile exercise.

wavestate-20210922T123804-0003.jpeg

wavestate-20210922T123826-0001.jpeg

Also have noticed one possible bug so far. The latch button doesn't seem to be working?.!.?.!.???

Haven't even looked at the firmware and software upgrades yet though, so they may have a fix already.

Actually, I've barely glanced at the manual.

Watch a tutorial by loopop on Youtube and you already get a good idea of how to navigate and make it sing.

So, in summation, it is pretty much worth it if you plan to use it as a module, and at the current price it's not a rip off, but it does seem a little overpriced when you factor the build quality.

If you can pick one up that's been gently used or a store demo or a Black Friday deal, then I'd say go for it.

Sometime in the next week or two I'm expecting a Prologue 8.

I'll post a fresh review once it arrives.

Gary ;)

Oh, and I almost forgot that a video came out a couple of weeks ago stating that the latest upgrades include the ability to load your own samples!!! ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks for posting.

My Numa is now all packed up as we are moving and it will be quite a while before we are settled in our new home so I am looking for a small keyboard to tinker about with and this is on the list so your posting is timely.

I find Korg’s own tutorials pretty good, they have a batch of them for the Wavestate.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I just downloaded the firmware update. Among the fixes listed was the latching problem I mentioned previously.

It was only released 2 weeks ago so anything you pick up now will be old firmware if it's existing stock, or if you opt to preorder from China then you could expect the new firmware.

I plan to install it later tonight or tomorrow.

I have to use a virtual machine and install that abominable korg driver :p

I really hate that piece of buggy crapware.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Technologically incredible with the build quality of a $100 Casio.

The 37 keyboard is so loosey goosey as to be pretty much unplayable.

The entire build is plastic and is so light they installed suction cups on the bottom to keep it from sliding away on a table.

That was the ugly.

Now for the good.

It has a unique vector controlled arpeggiator engine multiplied by 4 simultaneous layers with differential step lengths allowing for some pretty amazing syncopation and complex evolving harmonies.

What it really is, in a nutshell, is ground breaking sequencer in a fully functional virtual analog synth package.

Workflow is pretty intuitive without too much menu diving, but there are at least 50 or 60 knobs and buttons on the control panel and it will take a bit of time to create your own patterns and sequences.

The sounds it produces out of the box range from crunchy to otherworldly and the performance banks are fully populated allowing you to reshape the presets to your liking. 4 Banks by 16 Presets.

In my case, I have it currently MIDIed up to my Juno DS as controller and I think it is perfectly functional as a module, but trying to play that POS keyboard on it is a futile exercise.

View attachment 2461

View attachment 2460

Also have noticed one possible bug so far. The latch button doesn't seem to be working?.!.?.!.???

Haven't even looked at the firmware and software upgrades yet though, so they may have a fix already.

Actually, I've barely glanced at the manual.

Watch a tutorial by loopop on Youtube and you already get a good idea of how to navigate and make it sing.

So, in summation, it is pretty much worth it if you plan to use it as a module, and at the current price it's not a rip off, but it does seem a little overpriced when you factor the build quality.

If you can pick one up that's been gently used or a store demo or a Black Friday deal, then I'd say go for it.

Sometime in the next week or two I'm expecting a Prologue 8.

I'll post a fresh review once it arrives.

Gary ;)

Oh, and I almost forgot that a video came out a couple of weeks ago stating that the latest upgrades include the ability to load your own samples!!! ;)

Appreciate the honest review mate.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Update : I just now successfully updated the firmware after three HOURS of hacking the updater.

It turns out in the 8 page document explaining the procedure there's a TYPO listing the wrong driver to install in device manager.

I swear I was ready to crate it up and ship it back after hour two, but a google search led me to CORRECT INSTRUCTIONS on Sweetwater's Website.

I had similar problems with updating my Minilogue a while back for similar reasons.

HOW THE F*** CAN KORG SELL $THOU$AND DOLLAR HARDWARE AND NOT GET THE SOFTWARE DOCUMENTATION RIGHT EVERY F***ING TIME??????

Now I'm going to crack open a beer and try and get over my PTSD...

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I think the problems come from both Korg and Microsoft, it's not new: many versions of USB drivers to connect an M3, a Kronos or a Radias with random fonction
Fortunately, the WS works well with its librarian.
As for the Wave Builder, we are waiting for a hypothetical update that may allow the product to be used.....

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Like I said in the other thread, Korg writes the worst drivers and software in the industry. Tied with Yamaha.

Reaction score
Editor GUI not very readable, but essential, in the absence of Wave builder, no possibility of loading performances containing wav/mid available for purchase.

Ask a Question