Kurzweil PC3 76 key

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a PC3 in very good physical shape, except it has a few problems I've been trying to resolve. I have 3 keys that sound double notes. When A2 is played, it also sounds F3, and when C#2 is played it also sounds A2. However, when I hook up another keyboard and play the Kurzweil from the midi board, I do not get double notes, everything is fine.

I took it apart, cleaned the keybed and the rubber contact strips, as well as the circuit board and connections, that didn't resolve it. I downloaded and installed the latest version of the operating system, that also did not resolve it. I have a hunch that maybe replacing the lower keybed circuit board may do it, I don't know.

I started using a different board last year when I first got the problem, figuring that when I had time I would get it sorted out. I don't think there is a repair shop nearby that has experience with Kurzweil, I live in Western Mass. It's too bad, that PC3 has been awesome, the sounds and the VAST system are unmatched, although I should add that I never had a need to dive too deep into all of what this board has to offer.

At this point I think I would just rather send it along to a new home. Is there anyone who would be willing or able to take on a little project or maybe someone who might need this for a "spare parts" board? I know I would not be able to get the price I would be able to if those 3 notes would just behave, and I would never try to sell it to someone without them knowing that there is an issue. I figured just post this here first where the "Kurzy people are" before trying Ebay or Craigslist.

Thanks! Dave

Reaction score
Hurray! The IT guy at my shop loves to work on computer stuff and electronics, much geekier than me! He told me to bring the PC3 over to his house and he'd try to figure it out. He found and fixed the problem! Kurzy is back in business!

Reaction score
The connection circuit board (the one that has all of the jacks on it) had a continuity issue. There was no visual indication when you trace the printed side, but he was going point to point (must have been very tedious) and found that there was no signal from one chip to the next. He soldered in a jumper wire and the problem disappeared.
He charged me $150, which I think is extremely fair, he worked on it for about a month (his idea of fun I guess!). I was planning on selling it anyway, but just set it up in my studio and the sounds are just so damn good, I'll probably wait to make sure I don't have any other reliability issues and start gigging with it again.

Ask a Question