Learning the Janko keyboard layout

Reaction score
Hi to you wonderful keyboard artists!

I'm trying to rewire my brain by playing the Janko keyboard by ear. Would you have some good advice on how to best go about it?
- So far, I just blindly guide my right hand to find the tunes I desire to find and I seem to get very slowly better at it. Maybe that's the only way to do it? I already gained some dexterity practice on a piano accordion. The Janko keyboard layout is pretty close to the traditional zebra piano keyboard, yet requires relearning.
There are no Janko keyboard tutors of any kind available, but since you great keyboard players earned your skills, you might be able to advise me on how to get on with it, for at age 79 I'm somewhat in a hurry. :)
Maybe I'm on the right track, by just keep on struggling to find the notes for every melody ...until my brain finally got remapped or is there an easier or more targeted way to Rome? As you see, my setup consists of a DIY Janko Kbd, 120 button DIY MIDI accordion accompaniment, and Tyros 3 Kbd.

Janko1.JPG

Last edited:
Ad

Advertisements

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There are a couple of threads on the forums regarding the Janko keyboard for accordion players.

He might want to look those up and contact the authors by private msg.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
jjj333, some of us who are regulars here are also members at Keyboard Corner, as are you. I think you are the
only person I have have seen posting on alternate keyboard formats in online forums. Don't get frustrated if you don't get
much response here. Good luck. Don aka B3maniac

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Yes, you are right... dear b3maniac.
Most of the threads I found in this forum ...are my own. - So I have to ask myself for advice on that. All I actually wanted only to know are some practical guidelines, which help me to progress because I'm a bit worried that my practice might be incorrect; prolong progress.
On the other hand, I like to think that just keep playing the Kbd in any way will eventually remap my brain to the Janko layout.
Partly I noticed this is already happening. It's just a slow process and maybe my old brain is to blame.
At least I have got another ancestral musical gift to fall back if everything fails; that of whistling to good music, such as:

https://app.box.com/s/mn2n4arwbxl348av012xwdvi8vr7iivy

Ask a Question