Line Level Out and Effects Pedals Help PLEASE

Reaction score
So it looks like my GF surprised me with my first synth (Korg MS-20 mini) Not supposed to know about it.. but she cant hide things very well... Regardless, I'm pretty stoked.

Couple of noobish questions for you seasoned vets..

1. I want to plug this thing into a guitar effect pedal or pedals...I know it's a mono out.. Do I need ANYTHING before or after the signal chain?

2. Can I run this right into a Keyboard amp...or possibly even a Bass amp?

If any of you do this.. and wouldn't mind sharing your setups and/or advice, I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Thanks for your time in advance...

-D

Reaction score

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'd be more worried about the opposite happening. A keyboard is line level about 10-100 millivolts.

An unamplified guitar pickup outputs on the order of mic levels which are less than a millivolt.

Then again a lot of electric guitars these days have built in preamps but I'm not sure how much gain they supply.

Your biggest risk is plugging the synth into the FX box, then the amp and possibly blowing out a speaker with the first note.

I'd try it out with everything set to lowest possible levels at first and then see if it distorts as you GENTLY crank up the levels.

If you can't find a decent output level without distortion then consider adding some kind of DI box to match up the impedances.

That's my spin on it, though completely basing my guesses on theory here.

Bass amps and keyboard amps can handle direct line level input with no problems though.

Gary

Reaction score
@gary... I actually have a "mixer" that can control the line level. So that works....(thanks Dave ;) )

So it would be synth ----> Mixer ----> Pedals--->DI--- >Amp?? Then I should be good as long as I watch the line levels?

And a quick follow up... there should be no problem if I have a bunch of pedals chained together
(I've seen TONS of guys on Keys who have pedals on their gear) They just never post a RIG chain diagram like the guitar guys do!!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The way I would hook it up is :

Keyboard >---> DI Box >---> Pedals (daisy chained) >---> Mixer >---> Keyboard Amp or PA.

The place where impedance has to match up is from Keyboard Out to Pedal In or else you risk overdriving the pedal input circuit. Then again it may work without the DI box as well. Assuming the gain of the first pedal is adjustable.

Ask a Question