Looking for a new keyboard

Reaction score
I've played classical piano for a while, and I've been considering getting into the music composition world. Therefore, I'm looking for a keyboard instrument of some sort that'll help me along the way. I've had one keyboard in the past, which was a $200 one, non-weighted Yamaha. Worked well, but the things that constantly nagged me about it was that the keys were non-weighted (spring keys just aren't me), and that I was unable to save and presets for voices. The keyboard did let me mess with the reverb, attack, and some other aspects of the voices, it just wouldn't let me save them, so I'd always have to reconfigure it again by ear whenever I swapped around.

I've been looking, and have been having some trouble finding exactly what I'm looking for, which is why I'm here pretty much.

I'm looking for a keyboard with weighted keys and the ability to hold a customized voice library, as well as a MIDI and an audio output of some sort (be it XLR, stereo, 5.1, anything. just something.). Voices need to be more than classical piano, which is why I'm having so much trouble finding a weighted keyboard : the weighted ones are either workstations or portable grands. Sustain pedal options would be nice, but not necessary. I don't really need a high-class synthesizer or a workstation, though those would be cool to have. To tell you the truth, I can't see myself using those to their full potential, I'm leaning more toward computer composition as well as keyboard composition. But who knows, I might take toward the on-instrument approach. For now, this is where I'm heading though.

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome! Ehhhh, that's one premium piece of electronics, I forgot to mention something about price range, heh. I'm in the US and therefore use USD, I'm really looking for more of a $400~$600 ish purchase, which is about £400 or less. Sorry about that mix-up.

I found this one made by Casio that's within my range, though I don't know whether it's a good buy or not given that it's the lowest price keyboard I can find that has offer a sequencer.

http://www.casio.com/products/Digital_Pianos_&_Keyboards/Portable_Keyboards/CTK-7000/

I can actually get the CTK-7k for $400, amazingly.

Ask a Question