Looking for first keyboard

Reaction score
Hello, since this is my first post I guess I'll introduce myself. My name is Adam, I am a 16 year old kid from a small town in Ontario. I have played the piano for 10 years, I also play the guitar, drums and xylophone. I mostly listen to and play progressive rock like King Crimson, Yes, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Rush and such.

And now my question: I am looking for my first electric keyboard. As I said I play progressive rock so I would like to have lots of sounds for that like: pianos, organs, melotron, synths etc. I would also like to have some features to create ambiance (built in reverb maybe). I would like MIDI in/out as well as stereo. I would prefer weighted keys (at least semi-weighted) and to have a pitch bend wheel, but those will not define a purchase. I have been looking at the Nord Electro 3 and the Roland Jupiter 80. I like those but I'm not sure if I want to spend that much right now, but I'll see what other people think first.

Thanks! -Adam

Reaction score
I'd watch craigslist.org for used keyboards. I'm happy with my used Yahama YPT-300. I'm jamming with other musicians. It works OK. You might consider getting a heavy duty stand too.

Ask a Question