Looking for workstation with "linear" ? sequencer.

Reaction score
I am not sure about the terminology as it seems that different manufacturers refer to the same things in different ways. I have a circa 1989 Ensoniq VFXsd that has a very simple but effective sequencer for what I want to do. I just play at home and enjoy working up songs that I like and posting them on fb. I am not using a computer/DAW and don't really aspire to. Although the VFX sequencer allows note by note editing (step?), I just set up a sequence, hit record, and start playing. I can keep it if I like it, start over, and replace or add to it. Then on to the next instrument. I don't care about loops and don't want to enter each note one at a time - just play and record live as if in a studio. I would like to update to a keyboard w/ more current sound quality, and could use more polyphony, although I do have a Korg 03R/W module that helps in that regard.
I understand that keyboard sequencers are passe' and manufacturers are leaning more toward loop, step, pattern, and arranger types. It may well be that there is no current board that works the way I want so I am open to former flagships that came around when people were actually expected to use the onboard sequencer. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Korg and Kurzweil still make boards with linear sequencers. From Korg, look at Kross and Nautilus. From Kurzweil, look at PC4 and K2700.

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.
Although I knew of Kurzweil, I'll have to admit that I'd never heard of the PC3K even though it apparently was sold alongside Kronos, Fantom G, and Motif XF. Tons of info and comparisons of those boards but pretty sparse on the PC3 or 4. And I'm unlikely to have the opportunity to demo one. The used prices still being in the $1500 range, I'd rather stick w/ the more known commodities. For that money it is up against the aforementioned ones plus Nautilus, Fantom, MODX+, not to mention Fantom 0, FA-0, Krome, MOXF . But I'm not sure about the sequencers in those.
While I'm updating I'd also like to have the ability to add vocal and guitar to sequences.
As old as my VFX is I am amazed from time to time to read about features that it has that much more expensive modern ones don't. Polyphonic aftertouch. Internal memory - I was floored to read that some new boards require saving songs to external storage and reloading to play. I can be in the middle of something, turn off the power, come back and it is right as I left it. There are things I just take or granted - hope I'm not unpleasantly surprised. :)

Reaction score
Nautilus, Fantom, MODX+, not to mention Fantom 0, FA-0, Krome, MOXF . But I'm not sure about the sequencers in those.
Nautilus yes as mentioned, along with the older FA, Krome, and MOXF you mentioned here (Kronos worth mentioning as well, in this "one generation back" category). But current generation Fantom (and Fantom-0) and MODX/MODX+ do not have the full linear sequencers.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score

Ask a Question