Looking to buy keyboard with weighted keys

Reaction score
Hi, I'm interested in a keyboard with 76 weighted keys, midi, as lightweight as possible, Not interested in any bells or whistles, just a few good acoustic and electric piano sounds. Any ideas?
Yamaha P95 or above. 88 keys but very thin and light. Has hammer style action that has a velocity setting to be as easy or hard as you like. Accepts soft dampening if you have the proper sustain pedal.
The 2 piano's are superb and you can add reverb amounts. The Electric piano's, one rhodes, one FM, are perfect. The Rhodes is perfect with a tad of edge if hit real hard.
Around $500. I'm not talking about the cheap $299 one. That is cheaper. The P90/95/105 the newer ones have USB. It fits in a slim bag. Has 2 small speakers on top and 2 larger built in the bottom for practicing.
The action is hammer style. So you get the right bounce. I forget the name of the distance from the strings and the hammer. But it's acurate and you can bounce the notes. Highly reccomend.

Reaction score
Could you state your size requirement in terms of physical dimensions rather than number of keys?

The answer's probably still the same, but there is some variation from model to model: e.g., models that put pitch-bend/mod wheels to the side of the keys are a few inches wider than ones that leave them out or put them above the keys.

Reaction score
If I can put my 2 cents in here . . .

I own a SP88, which is weighted, not hammer, and as a pianist I really like the feel. It sits somewhere well between your typical electric piano and a real piano. They are available in SP76 76-key models, and the prices are well below $1K. One other alternative might be to find a really good controller that you like the feel of and add a midi module. I've been using a Kurzweil MicroPiano that has the same exact sound engine as my SP88, so the great classic Kurzweil piano sounds. That setup should run you in your price range, and if it helps I am looking to sell my MicroPiano.

Marty

Reaction score
Hi all,
My hard disk crash, so I missed a few of these messages.
The Kurzweil SP76 is the one I had (I had to abandon it because it was internally corroded and the motherboard was destroyed). I live in Brazil, so finding a good keyboard can be complicated. Everything costs twice as much as in the US, and there's no point in ordering from the US because customs slaps a 60% tax on all electronics. Since I had to fix my computer, I'm a little short on funds right now, so I won't be getting a new keyboard right away. But I'm saving everyone's comments for when the time comes, and I thank you all!

Ask a Question