MIDI input to PSR-E473 ?

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm designing a MIDI foot pedal unit and would like it to play my PSR-473.
The PSR-473 has USB sockets, not MIDI sockets. Can you input midi data from external controller (not PC or Mac, etc) to play the keyboard ?
Thank you
Trevor

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm not certain how to answer your question.

You should be able to use an external controller, but as far as I know the controller's MIDI messages will need to be converted to USB somehow. This is normally done by routing the controller's MIDI messages through a computer and then to the Yamaha. If you don't want to use a computer-- which would also include devices such as an iPad or iPhone-- then you might be able to use a special MIDI-to-USB interface box instead. Note that (as far as I know) the interface box must be able to function as a USB host; a simple MIDI-to-USB cable will not do.

So if your goal is to simply connect the controller directly to the Yamaha without going through something else first, I guess the answer would be no, that you can't do that-- unless the controller itself is capable of acting as a USB host, and is going to be connected to the Yamaha via USB.

Thus, if you're designing and building the controller yourself, maybe you can design it to contain a MIDI-to-USB converter of its own, along with the ability to act as a USB host?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
For under a hundred bucks, one of these might help

Gary ;)

EDIT >>> A FEW CAVEATS.l

1) USB device MUST BE CLASS COMPLIANT.

2) Depending on the limitations of your design it MAY OR MAY NOT process the particular MIDI codes you are trying to send.

I cannot vouch for how compatible it may be with the entire MIDI spec and it may have certain limitations for some applications.

Overall though, The Amazon reviews of the device are glowing with confidence.

Good Luck...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
OR, since you are a techie type, there are dozens of websites out there on how to build one yourself, using an Arduino or a Raspberry Pi.

If you have the parts floating around you might be able build one at home in a weekend. :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I'm not certain how to answer your question.

You should be able to use an external controller, but as far as I know the controller's MIDI messages will need to be converted to USB somehow. This is normally done by routing the controller's MIDI messages through a computer and then to the Yamaha. If you don't want to use a computer-- which would also include devices such as an iPad or iPhone-- then you might be able to use a special MIDI-to-USB interface box instead. Note that (as far as I know) the interface box must be able to function as a USB host; a simple MIDI-to-USB cable will not do.

So if your goal is to simply connect the controller directly to the Yamaha without going through something else first, I guess the answer would be no, that you can't do that-- unless the controller itself is capable of acting as a USB host, and is going to be connected to the Yamaha via USB.

Thus, if you're designing and building the controller yourself, maybe you can design it to contain a MIDI-to-USB converter of its own, along with the ability to act as a USB host?
Thanks SeaGtGruff,
You've given me some ideas.
My foot pedal unit is one of my many PIC controller projects, which I do for work mostly (my own electronics company). I design and build control systems and have done a few MIDI gadgets for myself also.
This idea started off as simple MIDI, but has already branched into USB for storage onto memory sticks.
I'm nearly there, with a Microchip PIC controller as a USB host for storage drives.
I'm experimenting with a 13 note pedal design, to play pre-programmed chords on the synth, while I'm singing and playing bass guitar.
Then I thought about pre-programmed songs (backing chords, etc from the USB stick), which can step through with a single foot-switch.
Then came the Yamaha PSR-E473 with its USB sockets and no 5-pin MIDI ports.
It looks like a second USB host "output" would be good, as well as standard 5-pin MIDI.
Trevor

Reaction score
For under a hundred bucks, one of these might help

Gary ;)

EDIT >>> A FEW CAVEATS.l

1) USB device MUST BE CLASS COMPLIANT.

2) Depending on the limitations of your design it MAY OR MAY NOT process the particular MIDI codes you are trying to send.

I cannot vouch for how compatible it may be with the entire MIDI spec and it may have certain limitations for some applications.

Overall though, The Amazon reviews of the device are glowing with confidence.

Good Luck...
Thanks happyrat1,
I'm doing a lot of research about how the data packets work and how to make my USB host be a "Class Compliant USB MIDI Host."
I'll check out the Arduino or a Raspberry Pi ideas to see how they're sending data.
Trevor

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You might also look into adding MIDI routing capabilities at the same time.

It would be a triple threat, like the Conductive Labs MRCC 880.

Or the Sipario X

And while you're at it, you should subscribe to this guy's channel.

Gary ;)

Last edited:

Ask a Question