Midi Keyboard not responsting. (not dead keys)

Reaction score
Why do some of the keys on my midi keyboard only respons sometimes? and how to fix it?
The Keyboard is old but it's working fine. When i am trying to use it as a midi keyboard some of the keys only respont sometimes. i dont know why?
Is it the cable i am using? the cable is a midi to usb converter. It is pretty cheap but yea. how can i fix this problem?

The keyboard is a old Yamaha psr 400 with midi in and out ports.

None off the keys are dead. This only happen with midi

What can i do?!!!!!!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Try one of these:

Or one of these:

Instead.

Also what CPU, Operating System and MIDI Software are you trying to use when this happens?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
CPU is only used 0 to 10 procent. I have tried with different daws like Ableton and Studio one and also different plugins.
I am using Windows 10

So there isn't any fix for this or is the only solution to buy a new cable?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It's hard to say without a lot more information.

Cheapest and easiest fix to try is buying a new interface and seeing if that works.

If it's still a problem then you'll have to dig into your machine and see if there are any tweaks you can try to speed it up.

VSTs are thirsty for RAM.

How much RAM and how many different VSTs are you trying to control at once?

How are you calculating the 10% CPU usage while you are playing the keyboard?

Is the CPU i3, i5 or i7 and what generation? How old is it? How many cores?

RAM and number of CPU cores are the biggest factors determining the playability of Win 10 MIDI systems.

How much resident crap do you have loaded in the background?

What drivers if any are you using for your hardware?

There is no such thing as a "simple fix" for Win 10 MIDI latency. It's a bunch of small details that you have to troubleshoot one at a time.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Welcome.

Just how old is your Yamaha?

As it is Yamaha, especially the PSR models, are notorious for being problematic with MIDI.

To expand on Gary's suggestion, it would probably be worthwhile to buy a new interface and if all then is OK problem is solved if not then simply return it for a refund.

If you can try using a different keyboard with your computer that at least will narrow down the source of the problem.

Reaction score
I will try it all.
My computer has 8 gb of ram. I know it is in the low end of how many ram you need to have but i think its enough for 1 plugin.
I don't think it's my computer tbh. But its worth cheking out.
I don't how old the keyboard is but its old we have had it in a long time and then i thought i would nice to give it a new life.

Thanks for all the inputs
It's proberbly a combination of a shitty cable and keyboard. I will check the cable on other keyboard to see if it works different there.
Thank guys

Reaction score
Does your MIDI controller use a driver maybe need to reinstall or update your keyboard driver. My controller doesn't at all without the driver installed.

Ask a Question