Can I Import a MIDI file in my Roland Juno DS 61 Keyboard?

Reaction score
Hello to everyone, my name is Andrew and I'm glad to share the music's passion with you.

I would like to arranging synth pad sounds from my Roland keyboard and a classical drum rhythm to one of my ambient piano song.
Unfortunately, I can't arrange synth pad sounds and a classical drum rhythm directly to the "final track" because the song has already old synth pad sounds, because his relative mixing and mastering would become a disaster, but I still have the single MIDI file of the piano notes.

Can I import this MIDI file in my Roland Juno DS 61 keyboard via USB pendrive, so that the piano instruments patches of the Roland can play the melody notes?
Otherwise, I would play again the same notes of the MIDI files in the keyboard and it would be very very boring unless there aren't alternatives.

Thanks.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Welcome, Andrew!

I'm not at all familiar with Roland keyboards in general and with the Juno-DS in particular, but I would certainly expect that you can play a MIDI song file from a USB pen drive on the Juno-DS.

As for loading it into the Juno for any necessary editing, I have no idea what sorts of song-editing features the Juno-DS has.

However, it's my personal experience that you can usually do extensive MIDI editing more easily with a DAW on your computer than you can with a keyboard's onboard song-editing features.

Then again, my own bevy of keyboards are not exactly strong as far as their onboard song-recording and song-editing features! :)

Anyway, I'm thinking you might want to import the MIDI file into a DAW so you can do some editing there, even if it's only checking which voices and drum kits are being selected (that is, in terms of their Bank Select MSB, Bank Select LSB, and Program Change values). Then you can replace any of the selected voices and kits as needed, export everything back to a MIDI song file, and load it into the Juno-DS.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Unfortunately the Juno DS has no built in MIDI sequencer that can play SMF or MID files.

It can play WAV and MP3 files from a pen drive however.

A workaround inthis case is to load the MID file into a sequencer on a computer like Cakewalk by Bandlab and play the song or parts of it thru the MIDI or USB connections.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Actually, the Juno ds does read smf files and not mid files. Put it on a USB stick , go to pattern sequencer. Put it on user , then press the menu button. Select pattern utility , then you have smf import or export .

Kind regards

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
But "SMF" is just an abbreviation, not a filename extension-- an abbreviation for "Standard MIDI File," for which the default filename extension is "MID." :(???

Ask a Question