MIDI via Bluetooth (with non-Bluetooth keyboard)

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry if this is a silly question, but here goes:

I have an M-Audio Keystation that I connect to my laptop with a USB cable in order to use it with various instrument VSTs in my DAW.

The keyboard doesn't have built-in bluetooth capability, but I was wondering if there is any kind of USB bluetooth adapter with which I could connect the keyboard to my laptop wirelessly?

Thanks for any help.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Not that I know of. You'd need some sort of USB to HOST Bluetooth adapter which I don't think anyone makes.

You're stuck with the cable dude.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Maybe. If it has a standard MIDI connector, you could try something like the following:

The only type of USB adapter I know of requires connecting the keyboard to the adapter via standard USB cable, then the adapter plugs into a USB power adapter. The adapter broadcasts Bluetooth to your computer. But I don't know of a simple USB-type-B-to-Bluetooth dongle.

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry if this is a silly question, but here goes:

I have an M-Audio Keystation that I connect to my laptop with a USB cable in order to use it with various instrument VSTs in my DAW.

The keyboard doesn't have built-in bluetooth capability, but I was wondering if there is any kind of USB bluetooth adapter with which I could connect the keyboard to my laptop wirelessly?

Thanks for any help.
Everything I've read about "bluetooth" .... well.... its NOT the way to go. Bandwidth & latency... HORRIBLE... (and if your trying to listen to what your playing... any "delay" will definitely F' you up)...

Reaction score
Everything I've read about "bluetooth" .... well.... its NOT the way to go. Bandwidth & latency... HORRIBLE... (and if your trying to listen to what your playing... any "delay" will definitely F' you up)...
Right. My limited experience with Bluetooth (MIDI keyboard > laptop > Bluetooth speaker) was terrible. Extreme lag. But that was audio over Bluetooth, which I believe involves a lot more data than MIDI, so it's possible that MIDI over BT might be playable.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
M-Audio Keystation is one of their bottom of the line "dumb" MIDI controllers. (ie. it has no built in sounds) It is also USB only I believe so his options are minimal.

Even if the devices @SeaGtGruff linked do work as advertised, they will only work if they come with drivers that his software will recognize at the computer end.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The M-Audio web page for the Keystation 88 shows that it has a MIDI OUT port in addition to USB. The OP didn't say it was 88 keys, but hopefully the others are the same. I think most of M-Audio's keyboard controllers include a MIDI OUT port, although I haven't checked all of them.

I think that the MIDI Bluetooth adapter I mentioned should work without drivers, but that might depend on the computer OS. The web page for it says it works with iOS and macOS devices, presumably because they've got built-in support for Bluetooth MIDI.

The thing I'm not sure about is whether the adapter works if you plug just one side of it in. I don't know why that would make a difference, and I presume the only reason the two plugs are joined together is for convenience, so they don't get separated and lost.

Ask a Question