Deactivate velocity on a P80 via midi interface

Reaction score
Hi, I want to use a Studiologic midi bass pedal unit with my Yamaha P80 keyboard. I use the P80 keyboard as a controller for an organ synth, and simultaneously I want to use the P80 as a synth for the bass pedals. I can get it to work ok, but the pedals are velocity sensitive and I can't disable that on the Studiologic. (The sound eventually passes through a volume control pedal, so I don't want velocity on the pedals). If I turn off "Touch control" on the keyboard it doesn't seem to affect the midi controller. Is there a System Exclusive message I could send to the P80 that would turn off the velocity fo a midi connected device? I can't find one in the P80 manual..

Thanks, Lawrie

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
Have you tried the other side of the signal chain? Instead of not sending velocity messages, what about changing the sound so it doesn't respond to velocity messages?

Reaction score
Hi Fred, thanks for your thoughts. The problem is that the "Touch" button on the P80, controls the velocity of notes on the P80 keyboard, but doesn't affect the notes received via midi signals from the pedal controller. So the keyboard notes can be velocity neutral while the bass notes are still velocity sensitive.

The Pedal Controller only has option buttons for Midi Channel, Transpose, Bank Select, Program Change - - apparently no way to neutralize velocity data.

The P80 manual doesn't seem to give any midi data format for velocity changes. e.g. it gives Control Change Data for Volume, Expression, Damper, Sostenuto, etc... but nothing regarding velocity.

I would like midi data format for the P80 that controls velocity (if it exists). Tha might solve my problem....
Thanks and regards.

Reaction score
Hi Gary, thanks for your suggestion. I've checked them out and they actually have a "velocity converter" module that seems as though it would do the job. But. ... it's $149 + shipping!

If I can't find another solution I might go for that.
Thanks again, Lawrence

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Check on Amazon and shop around the web. Sometimes they sell them at a discount.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question