Moving Music Files from PSR S950 to PSR SX900

Reaction score
I'd like to move up to the PSR SX 900 from my PSR S950, but I have over 200 music files on my present keyboard and would like to know if they are moveable to the newer model. I know it can be done from the PSR S975, but am having problems finding info on my model. It would take me forever to create new ones on the new keyboard, if I get it. Thanks....

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hi jeff
I wonder could you copy the 200 files ( or a few of them) on to a USB and take to the music store and test drive it?
Ray

Reaction score
Yes, they're the ones that you use the "Music Finder" button to access. I have over 200 titles that I've set up with styles, tempos, etc., in each title. I'd like to be able to easily move them over to a new keyboard if possible.

Reaction score
I am not a fan of Yamaha Arrangers hence I have limited practical knowledge.

Now bear with me on this, with a Korg this is an easy process where you have the individual songs (including styles, instrument voices, Fx etx) fully set up, saved and ready to play in the Songbook. We save the Songbook to USB, then save any specific User Styles that are within the saved Songs to USB. Then the USB files are simply loaded into the new Korg Arranger. The idea with a Korg is that a user can have all their own Songs, Registrations etc saved as what Korg call SET files on a USB Memory Stick and that device can be inserted into any Korg PA and the files loaded, then the new PA will be set up exactly as the users own PA. Now the reason I am explaining the Korg system is that I would expect Yamaha to have a similar system available.

You should be able to undertake a similar process on your Yamaha by an export of your Database to the USB memory stick, this may or may not include all the Registration, Style and FX settings (your manual should explain how to do this and if it does do it). You should then be able to load the database into the SX but there may be tweaking of individual songs required due to differences within the two keyboards.

Yamaha’s software Expansion Manager may also include functions for tweaking each entry.

Korg’s Songbook Editor enables such functions to be performed and I would expect Yamaha’s to be similar.

As Ray’s suggests if you can road test an SX instore that will show you if it is possible. I rather think that there will be more to it than simply copying a batch of individual files.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Biggles. I believe I've discovered that the PSR SX900 doesn't have the music finder function as do the PSR's, which would be a big deal breaker for me. I think the newer system is called Playlist, or something like that. The thing I need to do is find one at a dealereship and fool around with it; a quick search doesn't show any nearby, though. The process continues..... :)

Reaction score
If you watch the tutorial Videos on the Yamaha website then they will give you a better idea on the functionality of the SX900.

By way of comparison do look at the similar Video Manual series for the Korg PA1000.

I am highly biased against Yamaha, but if you are looking to change a Korg imo would be a much superior choice. Korg support is on a different planet to that from Yamaha. Korg Arranger users have a monthly live interactive webcast available to help with Korg PA functions and features plus they are available to view retrospectively.

Reaction score
I'd like to move up to the PSR SX 900 from my PSR S950, but I have over 200 music files on my present keyboard and would like to know if they are moveable to the newer model. I know it can be done from the PSR S975, but am having problems finding info on my model. It would take me forever to create new ones on the new keyboard, if I get it. Thanks....
Hi Jeff,

I'm wondering what you ended up doing? Did you move up to the PSR SX 900? I too am considering moving from a PSR S950 to a PSR SX900

Reaction score
PG 91 of the Yamaha Reference Manual shows how to import Music Finder records from USB in an sx700/900.

Reaction score
Sorry....I went with the PSR SX900 and had a 30-day window for returning it which I almost did. But I decided to keep it, and boy am I glad I did. After about 40 days things began to click and I've never looked back, including transferring the Music Finder files from the PSR S950. Great keyboard, and again sorry for the delay in the update.

Reaction score
Sorry....I went with the PSR SX900 and had a 30-day window for returning it which I almost did. But I decided to keep it, and boy am I glad I did. After about 40 days things began to click and I've never looked back, including transferring the Music Finder files from the PSR S950. Great keyboard, and again sorry for the delay in the update.
Well tell us how you transferred the music finder files to the SX900!

Reaction score
I transferred the files but wasn't happy with the result so I ended up redoing every one of them. Time consuming for sure, but being retired helps.

Reaction score
Jeff_M thank you for your reply. What procedure did you use to transfer the music finder files from the PSR950 to the PSX 900?

Reaction score
I honestly don't remember now, but it involved transferring the 950 files to a stick and re=installing them on the 900. The results were not what I'd hoped, hence the re-do. In spite of that, I'm very pleased with the 900. This is a video I made a few days back while experimenting plugging the audio from the keyboard into the phone. Still overmodulating a bit, but I'm not displeased.

Reaction score
Im having trouble with moving my songs files from PSR950 to SX900 keyboard. It only can play my mp3 music but it cant open my own recording from PSR950 keyboard..

Ask a Question