MOX8 has sound crackling

Reaction score
I recently bought a MOX8 sight unseen for a steal at $100!! Only to find out later that there is something wrong with it!! When played the sound "crackles". I took it in to my local music store and they had it for 2 months and had no idea what the problem was. The recommended that maybe the main board was bad. The key word "maybe"!! The part direct from Yamaha was $636. Even if I pay the $636 I will still have a really nice synth for a pretty good price, but if it is not the problem I am out $736!! Any recommendations before i buy it?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Before you shell out a fortune

1) Pick up a $7.50 can of contact cleaner and clean all the pots and sliders.

http://www.amazon.com/Max-Professio...id=1399940517&sr=8-3&keywords=contact+cleaner

2) If that doesn't work, find another technician who actually knows what he's doing and doesn't want to simply swap boards on a whim for $650 a pop.

It's either dirty pots or a loose connection or a cold solder joint or worst case scenario a marginal output transistor or op amp.

Pardon my french but your local music shop tech is full of sh*t. :p

Gary

Reaction score
I recently bought a MOX8 sight unseen for a steal at $100!! Only to find out later that there is something wrong with it!! When played the sound "crackles". I took it in to my local music store and they had it for 2 months and had no idea what the problem was. The recommended that maybe the main board was bad. The key word "maybe"!! The part direct from Yamaha was $636. Even if I pay the $636 I will still have a really nice synth for a pretty good price, but if it is not the problem I am out $736!! Any recommendations before i buy it?
It's been 9 years lmao. Having the same issue. Did you ever find a resolution?

Ask a Question