Multi fx 5pin midi to keyboard usb B?

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just bought an old M-audio Prokeys Sono 61. I’m going to run it through my Boss GT100 multi-fx unit and I’m hoping the 2 units will share midi data; in/out.

The Boss has 2 x 5 pin ports to handle this. The Sono can do in/out via the USB B port. The manual says midi in/out via usb, can happen between the keyboard and a pc/Mac, but it doesn’t mention other devices.

I really want to able to change programs with the Boss as the Sono doesn’t have a screen and the interface is quite clunky.

Does anyone know if this work? Am I risking blowing up my stuff?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
MIDI is designed for direct connection of devices, USB is designed to have the various devices connected to a common host. (Few USB keyboards can, themselves, act as hosts.) You need a USB host device between your M-Audio and Boss devices. That can be a PC/Mac, it could also be an iPhone/iPad, it could also be a standalone device like this one.

Reaction score
MIDI is designed for direct connection of devices, USB is designed to have the various devices connected to a common host. (Few USB keyboards can, themselves, act as hosts.) You need a USB host device between your M-Audio and Boss devices. That can be a PC/Mac, it could also be an iPhone/iPad, it could also be a standalone device like this one.
Thank you very much Scott (presumably). That's exactly what I needed.

Ask a Question