Music Minus One

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Yamaha P-115. I have a number of Music Minus One recordings that I would like to be able to play along with the orchestral parts and record my playing. I can't figure out how to do this. Can anybody help me?

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Yamaha P-115. I have a number of Music Minus One recordings that I would like to be able to play along with the orchestral parts and record my playing. I can't figure out how to do this. Can anybody help me?
Not sure what you mean when you say "and record my playing". do you mean
1) you just want only the P-115 instrument to be recorded in the recording, or
2) the Music Minus One and the P-115 both be in the recording.

In the old days I would have solved your problem this way:

Send the Music Minus One output and the P115 output to a mixer on different channels. Attach the mixer output to your speakers so that you can hear the Music Minus One and the P115 come out of the main speakers simultaneously

For #1 above, send ONLY the P115 to a monitor (aux) out of the mixer. Attach a recording device like a tape deck to the monitor outs. You'd hear both the Music Minus One and the P115 through the main speakers but only the P115 will be recorded.

For #2, send BOTH the P115 and the Music Minus One to a monitor (aux) out of the mixer; both the Music Minus One and the P115 will now be simultaneously recorded as well as both being heard through the speaker attached to the output jacks of the mixer.

Use that concept and develop a solution for whatever devices you have out your disposal (PC computer, whatever). I don't record myself through devices; I'm a gigging musician doing live gigs so I can only address this conceptually. That's how I'd theoretically approach the setup.

Reaction score
I know nothing about the instrument :) ...but you can grab the manual from the Yamaha web site, if you don't already have it (see https://au.yamaha.com/en/products/contents/pianos/downloads/manuals/index.html?l=en&c=&k=p-115) ... and then the fundamental questions come (as @delaware dave alluded to):-
  • Where/in what format are the 'Minus One' recordings? LPs, CDs, tapes, MP3s, etc -- wherever they are, will be an important consideration.

• What 'type' of recording do you want to make? Just to get the sound of your playing in the context of the recordings? For further enhancement? Just to enhance your practice?

• Do you have a computer (and this leads to the can of worms of type of computer, Windows/Mac/Linux/BeOS/who knows what, connections available, etc)? If so, what software do you have installed that you use for making music?
Defining what you want to achieve by pursuing some recording will go a long way to how the original question might be answered.

--ozboomer

Reaction score
I had a P125 for a while and had it connected similar to what Dave suggests.

When I wanted to play along or play a backing track to improv to I played the file on the Laptop whose audio output was connected to the Mixer.

Do check the spec of your P115, my P125 had audio output via USB as well as the standard jacks.

I am unsure if your P115 has this feature if it does not then you will need a rethink on the connectivity and kit needed.

I connected my P125 via USB to my Laptop and used the Audio over USB feature to record my playing using Audacity and instead of playing the audio file on my Laptop I connected my mobile phone to the mixer an played the file on the phone

Ask a Question