Sheet music needed...

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to find a copy of the sheet music for the Spanish Gypsy Dance, also known as Espana Cani. There are a couple of variations on site such as Music Notes, but somewhat awkwardly, I'm looking for an arrangement that include chord symbols (my bass clef reading isn't great).

if any one can advise me where I might be able to purchase a copy of this, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
C

Reaction score

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm curious to know if copyright has expired on this already.

If so, then a google for a PDF might turn up a legitimate copy.

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I tried to find Keyboard sheet music too having Chords printed . . but can only find Piano music.
Below is an extract from "Wikipedia" . .
It has Chord notations which you maybe able to add to the Piano Sheet music printout. .
1923 written . . is 98 years old . . copyright may well be expired?

Start Extract . .
"España cañí" (meaning "Gypsy Spain" in Spanish) is a famous instrumental Spanish piece of pasodoble music by Pascual Marquina Narro (1873–1948). The song was written around 1923 and first recorded in 1926. In English it is also known as the Spanish Gypsy Dance.[1]

Its main refrain (eight bars of arpeggiated chords that go from E major to F major (with added 4 instead of 5) to G major and back) is arguably the best known snippet of Spanish music and is popular worldwide.[citation needed]

Several arrangements of the tune are often used for the Latin Paso Doble dance (to the point that, among Latin dancers, it is known as "the paso doble song" as it is very commonly played in competition due to the common custom for the choreography to match the phrasing and accents of the music for the full effect of the dance). It is also chant supporters of Eskişehirspor (Turkey)[citation needed]

End extract.

R

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I believe under the DMCA copyright extends for a 100 or 150 years after the author's death now. Some ridiculous number.

That's why Disney still owns Mickey Mouse and Steamboat Willie.

Even Happy Birthday was copyrighted until a couple of years ago.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I tried to find Keyboard sheet music too having Chords printed . . but can only find Piano music.
Below is an extract from "Wikipedia" . .
It has Chord notations which you maybe able to add to the Piano Sheet music printout. .
1923 written . . is 98 years old . . copyright may well be expired?

Start Extract . .
"España cañí" (meaning "Gypsy Spain" in Spanish) is a famous instrumental Spanish piece of pasodoble music by Pascual Marquina Narro (1873–1948). The song was written around 1923 and first recorded in 1926. In English it is also known as the Spanish Gypsy Dance.[1]

Its main refrain (eight bars of arpeggiated chords that go from E major to F major (with added 4 instead of 5) to G major and back) is arguably the best known snippet of Spanish music and is popular worldwide.[citation needed]

Several arrangements of the tune are often used for the Latin Paso Doble dance (to the point that, among Latin dancers, it is known as "the paso doble song" as it is very commonly played in competition due to the common custom for the choreography to match the phrasing and accents of the music for the full effect of the dance). It is also chant supporters of Eskişehirspor (Turkey)[citation needed]

End extract.

R
Hi

Thank you for this. That's a really good idea. I'll have a look and see what I can find...

Reaction score
Sheet music direct have two versions

Thank you. I'll have a look at these two links and hopefully find something useful.

Reaction score
The first link I posted in my prior was for a version with Chords, I looked at a few sites but this was the only one where chords were included. As the sheetmusicdirect website is part of the Hal Leonard company I assume it is a legit site and a cost of £1.99 it is imo very reasonable.

Fans of the show Strictly Come Dancing / Dancing With The Stars / or whatever it is called in your country will recognise the music as it has been extensively used in the show.

Reaction score
I believe under the DMCA copyright extends for a 100 or 150 years after the author's death now. Some ridiculous number.

That's why Disney still owns Mickey Mouse and Steamboat Willie.

Even Happy Birthday was copyrighted until a couple of years ago.

Gary ;)
Copyright protection generally lasts for 70 years after the death of the author. If the work was a "work for hire", then copyright persists for 120 years after creation or 95 years after publication, whichever is shorter. Which would mean music from 1926 could still be protected - and before 1926 is Public Domain.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Assuming the author didn't breathe his last in 1975 it could still be protected.

I'm pretty sure the copyright was not issued on the author's deathbed, so it's still moot.

Disney kicked the bucket in the 70's, so his copyright on Mickey would have been voided right about now under the old 50 year rule.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Walt Disney died in '66 - I remember the sad day. The person seeking use of a particular song needs to do their research - more than likely though, a song written in 1923 would be PD by now. I did a cover of "Danny Boy" eight years ago (2013) - it was written in 1910 and published in 1913 - the songwriter was Frederic Weatherly who died in 1929 - 84 years past from my recording. I found out at that time Danny Boy was legally Public Domain.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Well referring back in the thread, Pascual Narro died in 1948.

This means, unless it was a commissioned work, copyright just expired in 2018.

But if it was a commissioned work then copyright still applies.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question