NAMM 2022 Any Word of Korg Replacements?

Reaction score
Apparently Korg at NAMM is a waste of space, they had one guy and no kit there, just sharing a space with others.

At the end of June there are events scheduled in Austria and France that have bern leaked and those who purport to be in the know have indicated that this is where the Pa5X will debut.

The latest leak suggest 61, 76 & 88 key versions at eyewatering prices

Reaction score
Apparently Korg at NAMM is a waste of space, they had one guy and no kit there, just sharing a space with others.

At the end of June there are events scheduled in Austria and France that have bern leaked and those who purport to be in the know have indicated that this is where the Pa5X will debut.

The latest leak suggest 61, 76 & 88 key versions at eyewatering prices
Cool!, An 88 key arranger! that will be a first, no?

Reaction score
At least take a Fantom for a test drive.

These guys stay in business by stealing each other’s technologies. ;)?

And then improving them. :D

Gary. ;)
I made the horrendous mistake of taking a Fantom-06 for a test drive(even worse, I was stupid enough to actually buy one.) I think it's safe to say that Korg guys are not going to take well to a Roland( as current ones only have clip-based sequencers, no audio recording & no audio export.)
I can't imagine what would possibly be appealing to a Korg user, to spend $4,000 on a flagship Fantom(less HD memory & as mentioned above, none of the rest that Korg workstations have.)
Hell...the Korg Kross 2 is a MUCH better workstation than the Fantom-series and if a Kross 2 user were to buy Roland's Zenology software for PC, that would be a potent mix(without any headaches at all!)

Reaction score
I have been thinking about Kurzweil, they are odd in a way, I like a lot about them but their technology seems dated. Not so much the samples but the layout of their boards... No touch screen? not saying that's a deal-breaker, it isn't. Some of the piano sounds sound very good and lots of lush synth sounds.
I'm in full agreement with you, as their display screens(for the most part)...are outdated by about 30 years, have no audio exporting, no audio interface and although I don't care that much about touchscreens(at least having a 5" display)...would dramatically improve the layout!
However though...Kurzweil has created a new stage piano that meets with current technology( 7" touchscreen & audio interface!) Sadly...it's not a workstation....but the SP7 Grand could very well be the starting point for future Kurzweil workstations to have such features.
Exciting stuff!

Reaction score
Copied and pasted from the Korg Forum, posted by a Korg Italy Staffer

Hi,

Just a short message to say that, as usual, we don't reveal our forthcoming products until we, uh, reveal them!

Any speculation about our future products is not coming from the people at Korg Inc. or Korg Italy. They are rumors, over which we don't have any control.

In any case, sorry for the long wait. Whether we are working on a new arranger or an advanced coffee machine, I'm sure you will be very pleased!

Cheers,

Reaction score
Copied and pasted from the Korg Forum, posted by a Korg Italy Staffer

Hi,

Just a short message to say that, as usual, we don't reveal our forthcoming products until we, uh, reveal them!

Any speculation about our future products is not coming from the people at Korg Inc. or Korg Italy. They are rumors, over which we don't have any control.

In any case, sorry for the long wait. Whether we are working on a new arranger or an advanced coffee machine, I'm sure you will be very pleased!

Cheers,
Interesting, I don't understand why they wouldn't reveal anything at NAMM.

Reaction score
Keyboards were not represented very well at NAMM.
Winter NAMM was useless and now Summer NAMM has followed suit.
I would expect more online streaming of live releases, it would certainly be far cheaper than paying for everything (space, trash, power etc) at a Trade Show.

Who in their right mind would spend thousands of hard earned cash to attend a show when business’s are still struggling to get over the Covid closedown/restrictions not to mention the supposedly limited availability of components.

Reaction score
Interesting, I don't understand why they wouldn't reveal anything at NAMM.
More than likely....Korg hasn't revealed anything...as there is nothing yet to reveal. My guess is....given the delays brought on by not only COVID...there has been shipping container shortages & micro-chip shortages and Korg does not want to rush product production by using sub-par components.
It seems clear that Korg is still in their product development stage & that they are waiting for an ideal time, when the setbacks are resolved(in order to avoid any more defective products, such as the Nautilus.)
I had corresponded with a Chinese YouTube commentator & he said Korg is a HUGELY popular brand in Asia and he claims that Korg is working on a new workstation for next year's NAMM.
I cannot confirm or disconfirm anything....but it all sounds reasonable to me. I would speculate, that although other companies are releasing products, I think that Korg is holding off on doing so, until such time as components are more widely available( in order to keep production costs down.)
Indeed I was hoping Korg would release a new keyboard, but I certainly wasn't expecting anything this year(which is why I settled for a Korg Kross 2.)

Reaction score
More than likely....Korg hasn't revealed anything...as there is nothing yet to reveal. My guess is....given the delays brought on by not only COVID...there has been shipping container shortages & micro-chip shortages and Korg does not want to rush product production by using sub-par components.
It seems clear that Korg is still in their product development stage & that they are waiting for an ideal time, when the setbacks are resolved(in order to avoid any more defective products, such as the Nautilus.)
I had corresponded with a Chinese YouTube commentator & he said Korg is a HUGELY popular brand in Asia and he claims that Korg is working on a new workstation for next year's NAMM.
I cannot confirm or disconfirm anything....but it all sounds reasonable to me. I would speculate, that although other companies are releasing products, I think that Korg is holding off on doing so, until such time as components are more widely available( in order to keep production costs down.)
Indeed I was hoping Korg would release a new keyboard, but I certainly wasn't expecting anything this year(which is why I settled for a Korg Kross 2.)
What you say all makes sense! I had a Nautilus but unfortunately, it started to freeze up on me and I had to return it, this was after receiving 2 damaged Nautilus shipments that I had to return and I just didn't bother after that. Now I don't have a keyboard I am desperate to buy another but for me, it has to be a Korg... the Kronos is now discontinued and I can't wait for what ( by your estimations which seems to be the most logical) about 2 years until a new workstation comes on to the market...

Reaction score
It is what Korg Italy have been developing that is of interest to me.

Zero interest in a Nautilus or Kronos replacement, 100% interest in a new Korg Pa & these are the domain of Korg Italy.

Reaction score
It is what Korg Italy have been developing that is of interest to me.

Zero interest in a Nautilus or Kronos replacement, 100% interest in a new Korg Pa & these are the domain of Korg Italy

Why so much interest in an arranger but not a synth or workstation?... I have got to the point where I think unless something massive happens and there is a big update to the arranger world then I won't be interested. I wish someone would change my mind but whenever I listen to the plethora of arranger clips on YouTube... well, it just sounds so outdated and cheesy! Like your in a working men's club in 1984. Yes, I know you can customize an arranger but maybe it's time for a modern version that's not based on playing ABBA or My Way.

Reaction score
Why so much interest in an arranger but not a synth or workstation?... I have got to the point where I think unless something massive happens and there is a big update to the arranger world then I won't be interested. I wish someone would change my mind but whenever I listen to the plethora of arranger clips on YouTube... well, it just sounds so outdated and cheesy! Like your in a working men's club in 1984. Yes, I know you can customize an arranger but maybe it's time for a modern version that's not based on playing ABBA or My Way.
I have mixed feelings about arrangers.....as on the one hand, auto-accompaniment presets are great for spawning song ideas(when I am experiencing a creative block)...but on the other hand, you cannot create a song from the ground up(as the sequencers in the budget to mid-range keyboards, do not have pattern-building song sequencers with with deep editing features and if you want to create complete songs, you'd have to lay down around $5,000.
I find it really frustrating that ONLY arrangers have the tilting display screens and the video outs and the cost of arrangers in general(over synth workstations)...is just too much to spend(especially since desktop PC workstations offer so much more, for far less)...and for those like myself, who are budget-bedroom-studio musicians(that don't gig)...arranger keyboards are way out of reach.

Reaction score
Outdated and cheesey sums up my playing perfectly.

Pretty well zero interest in any song since 1980, zero interest it creating music, zero interest in buying more than one keyboard after a foray having a Korg Arranger and a Korg Kross.

No need for an amp or powered speakers, an arranger is a one box solution for very many home musicians and semi pro performers. Remember our late member Music With Harry, he solo gigged more times in a month using his arranger than many giggers here do in a year so the arranger can do it all for very many musicians.

The arranger does all I need, I just want to play classic songs and classical music in an updated style.

Don’t want the auto accompaniment, turn off all the backing but the drums and bass and play, its far easier than programming a repetitive drum machine or computer software which would be another piece of kit I do not want.

The Korg Pa that I had was equipped with hundreds of synth sounds, more than I ever used in fact and I spent more time programming the Kross 2 than I did playing and that is not what I want.

I do not have an Arranger at present and miss them, the keyboard that I have is not instilling a desire to play and there is no way I want to buy a new laptop and arranger software to go the computer route, I might as well buy a Korg or Yamaha arranger for the same price.

Yes the recording onboard features offer limited functionality but lets get real, the low end Pa700 arranger I had was fitted with a vastly superior recording system than any sub $2000 keyboard from Roland or Yamaha.

At the end of the day to each their own, an arranger may not be for you but for many members here, they work for us.

Reaction score
Outdated and cheesey sums up my playing perfectly.

Pretty well zero interest in any song since 1980, zero interest it creating music, zero interest in buying more than one keyboard after a foray having a Korg Arranger and a Korg Kross.

No need for an amp or powered speakers, an arranger is a one box solution for very many home musicians and semi pro performers. Remember our late member Music With Harry, he solo gigged more times in a month using his arranger than many giggers here do in a year so the arranger can do it all for very many musicians.

The arranger does all I need, I just want to play classic songs and classical music in an updated style.

Don’t want the auto accompaniment, turn off all the backing but the drums and bass and play, its far easier than programming a repetitive drum machine or computer software which would be another piece of kit I do not want.

The Korg Pa that I had was equipped with hundreds of synth sounds, more than I ever used in fact and I spent more time programming the Kross 2 than I did playing and that is not what I want.

I do not have an Arranger at present and miss them, the keyboard that I have is not instilling a desire to play and there is no way I want to buy a new laptop and arranger software to go the computer route, I might as well buy a Korg or Yamaha arranger for the same price.

Yes the recording onboard features offer limited functionality but lets get real, the low end Pa700 arranger I had was fitted with a vastly superior recording system than any sub $2000 keyboard from Roland or Yamaha.

At the end of the day to each their own, an arranger may not be for you but for many members here, they work for us.
I totally understand you, I myself like and play music from the 1910s upwards. I suppose what I am meaning is I have no problem listening to people play ABBA or anything of the like. It's the styling of the arranger's intros, fill-ins, and endings that make it sound tacky. When I had the Genos the sounds were incredible and some of the rhythms were incredible but I still very rarely used backing. Each to their own as you say!

Reaction score
The word is that there will be activity from Korg on the 30th June.

There has now been announced by Korg UK that they are going to host a webinar at 18:00 hours BST on the 30th June.

Fingers crossed that its content is what we want to see and hear about.

Register

Reaction score
The word is that there will be activity from Korg on the 30th June.

There has now been announced by Korg UK that they are going to host a webinar at 18:00 hours BST on the 30th June.

Fingers crossed that its content is what we want to see and hear about.

Register

Thanks a bunch, Biggles! look forward to the webinar and fingers crossed we get some exciting news!

Reaction score
I just wanted to know one thing, you all are experts, please tell me, is Pa5x better than Kronos tonewise? Is it as versatile to play any kind of sound that one could imagine, like the kronos? My complete requirement is just about sounds for live shows with realtime controls, I do not require any kind of lyrics, score, mic controls, styles, which all we get in an arranger. So should I go with Pa5x or wait for the next workstation beast by the Korg?
Also, Pa5x will be launched in 1 or 2 days as we all are hoping, but do anyone knows if there's a new workstation korg is working upon, the replacement for kronos, do you guys have any information about it?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Welcome atulya

The answer you your first question is unknown, but a reasonable assumption would be similar but not quite Kronos standard of sounds.

The webinar will be available for offline viewing, all the 20+ ones made by Korg UK are still available so you can look in detail about the 5X if indeed that is what the webinar is to be about.

As for Kronos replacement, who knows, Korg are legendary for keeping developments in house until they are ready to announce a webinar or a News Event to showcase new kit.

There have been no Korg teasers for the 5X just blurred imaged and low res video for nine months now and it is only in the last couple of weeks that clear video has been seen with the latest one being in spanish but some details were seen and heard

Reaction score
Welcome atulya

The answer you your first question is unknown, but a reasonable assumption would be similar but not quite Kronos standard of sounds.

The webinar will be available for offline viewing, all the 20+ ones made by Korg UK are still available so you can look in detail about the 5X if indeed that is what the webinar is to be about.

As for Kronos replacement, who knows, Korg are legendary for keeping developments in house until they are ready to announce a webinar or a News Event to showcase new kit.

There have been no Korg teasers for the 5X just blurred imaged and low res video for nine months now and it is only in the last couple of weeks that clear video has been seen with the latest one being in spanish but some details were seen and heard
Thank you so much Biggles for your reply :)
My first korg keyboard was PA600, although I often get to play PA900 and PA4X in many shows, when I tried my hands on Kronos, I was truly amazed by the tonal quality Kronos offers, and always wanted to own one, seems like it never gonna happen now. I am looking for an upgrade for 2 years now, since covid started, but I guess I've to wait at least for an year for korg to launch the top notch workstation which could replace Kronos. Anyways, I will happily wait ☺️

Ask a Question