Need help finding some FFC/flex cables for a P95/P85

Reaction score
I got my hands on a mint condition (hardware wise, boards and keyboard) horrible condition cables and case P95 for 40 bucks, and i'm trying to fix it. it's missing both the 22 pin and the 27? pin (i'm not sure if it's 26 or 27. manual says 27) I managed to find a 22 pin A type long FFC cable on ebay, but I cannot find a 27 pin cable that would be long enough anywhere, all of them are 10 CM! I am not sure how long it needs to be... if anyone here can point me to a place where I can buy one, please help me out. it's a 22 and a 27 pin, 0.5mm pitch, A type same side contacts. if anyone with a p95/p85 here could measure how long a cable I actually need, or have a parts one and is willing to sell those specific cables.. i'm open to buy it from you :)

some more details about this find for the curious: the keyboard was reported as "no sound but turns on" and "attempted repair" I am fairly sure the no sound part is simply some bad caps at the output jack, and they clearly botched the repair so bad thinking it was the cables that the cables were trashed, so I have high hopes of fixing this.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Check the usual keyboards parts places.

Syntaur.com

Instrumentalparts.com

fullcompass.com

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hello Gary! Thanks for the reply. I've already looked at these before, and just in case I just looked again, but it just seems no one really stocks these flex cables. I found 1 27 pin for another Yamaha keyboard, but sadly they don't specify pitch... I'll look more into it later. Personally I've been thinking of simply getting a 28 pin generic cable and snipping off one pin, since these are made to a standard any aliexpress/ebay cable should work. What do you think?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Google "custom ribbon cables" and you can probably order them made to order in small quantities.

Or, you can buy the 28 and simply snip off the pin.

Ribbon cables are a pretty generic product.

Unless there's some kind of fancy twist in the middle.

And I've never seen a 27 conductor ribbon in my life.

Standard sizes range from 4 to 64 conductors in even increments.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Make sure you check a schematic BEFORE you plug anything in.

Gary ;)
Seems like getting one custom made or simply snipping off a pin off a 28 pin cable is my best bet here, thanks for the tips.
And yes, I also have never seen a 27 pin FFC, but the pin count on the board and the service manual both seem to agree... Unless I'm blind, can't count and the manual is wrong I feel like Yamaha did this on purpose to go back to them for a repair... I'll look into getting custom made cables/buying a 28 pin.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
2 possible explanations .

1)—-( ham handed tech broke off a pin.

2)—-( engineered polarity fail safe.

Gary. ;)

Ask a Question