Need help re keyboard output jack types and cables needed

Reaction score
I have an Alesis Recital Pro and would like to get an audio interface to run it to so that I can record it in stereo.

The manual specs indicate the aux outs are two 1/4" TRS line outputs. The diagram shows R and L/Mono. It also shows cables going from each output to a mixer, as an example. However, the cables in the diagram only shows one ring (TS) on each cable.

My question is, if it clearly says the jacks are TRS, then they are balanced, correct? If I want to record in stereo, do I need two TRS cables going from L and R out into L and R inputs on an audio interface, or no? Or do I need just one TRS cable to a y-splitter?

I have tried to do some research on this topic but remain confused.

Reaction score
There are two types of jacks, TS (Tip/Sleeve) and TRS (Tip/Ring/Sleeve). The main advantage of TRS over TS is that TRS carries two signals with opposite polarity. Anything common to both signals gets 'cancelled" by the receiver. This typically results in improved Signal to Noise ratios as well as other benefits. Details can be read here: link

Now that that's out of the way, your keyboard supports both mono and stereo. If you only want to record in mono use a TRS cable and plug it into the L/Mono side of the keyboard and the other end into the receiving piece of equipment. If you want to run in stereo, you will need two TRS lines, plug one into the L/Mono and the other plugged into the R on the keyboard. Plug the other side of both plugs into the receiving equipment, left input should be panned left and the right input should be panned right. You can also use TS plugs; you should use TRS because the signal to noise ratio theoretically should be better with TRS but TS could be used as well. I have a Kurzweil keyboard and the mains support TRS. I mostly use TRS; there are occassions when I have left the TRS plugs at home and am forced to use TS. The keyboard still functions ok and no harm is done. TRS is theoretically better so if you are trying to "record" you want to eliminate as much noise out of the line as you can get so TRS would theoretically provide you that.

Reaction score
Thanks Delaware Dave, that's the answer I was hoping to confirm. So I basically just need two TRS 1/4" cable to go from keyboard to whatever interface I get.

Another question: Then, to go from interface (considering focusrite Scarlett or iRig pro duo) to iPad, what cables at that stage? I have a lightning cable already and the Apple Camera connection kit but not sure if this is the correct way to go.

Ask a Question