Nubee Needs Help Choosing a Keyboard

Reaction score
Hey All!

I played piano for a while as a kid but hated the classical training and never put enough time into it. For some reason, many decades later, I still have a pretty good right hand in that I'm not totally cramped up, I've got some speed and control but don't know what to do with it. LOL

OK so, fast forward. I'm looking for a keyboard I can use in my home studio. I'm a guitarist/vocalist and want to start relearning the keyboard again.

We do have an old Yamaha PSR-500M but I don't like the feel and it only has 61 keys.

Is there something on the market like the Roland Go keyboards that has 73 + weighted or semi-weighted with decent Piano, Organ, McCartney Wings type synth, and strings for $500-$600? Or do I need to get a controller and a sound module? Used is also fine.

Thank you !!

Reaction score
Welcome.

This may help in explaining the differences.

Check out a Studiologic Compact 2X, 88 semi weighted keys with after touch, 88 onboard sounds and sliders for drawbar organ. Retails c$700

What also comes to mind is a Roland Juno DS 76 which retails new at $900 and you may ring a used on on one of the websites.

If you want to go the MIDI route then checkout the Studiologic SL88 controller at c$500.

Plenty of suggestions for other kit if you refine and expand upon your requirements.

Reaction score
Is there something on the market like the Roland Go keyboards that has 73 + weighted or semi-weighted with decent Piano, Organ, McCartney Wings type synth, and strings for $500-$600? Or do I need to get a controller and a sound module? Used is also fine.
The limitation of the mentioned Numa Compact 2X there is the Wings-style synth. The Wings synth sounds I'm thinking of use portamento (glide from one note to another), and the Numa won't do that. However, the Numa also has decent MIDI controller functions, so you could get the kind of synth sound you want from an attached device, which could be iPhone/iPad or laptop, etc.

Reaction score
OK, so to start I believe I should get a weighted keyboard, 73 + but less than 88 keys, with Piano, Organ, and what ever else comes built in. A synth can come later.

What's my best bang?
Thank you.

Reaction score
In your price range the only weighted (hammer) action board with built in sounds and less than 88 keys is Yamaha P-121. Or you could get a soundless controller (i.e. Studiologic SL73 Studio) running sounds from an attached device (iPhon, iPad, laptop, sound module, etc.).

Reaction score
Right on the max budget the Yamaha P121 will do what you seek (mostly) and if you have an iPad then the synth world is available via the Apps store and it will then do all you see (if I have interpreted your requirements correctly).

$599

I have one and it does what it does with good piano sounds and the keyboard feel is pretty good and imo only bettered at this price by the Roland FP30. The Yamaha beats the Roland hands down for ease of changing voices.

If you do not mind a second user digital piano then a Casio PX 560 could be a contender as would a Yamaha DGX.

Good luck

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I did purchase a Yamaha P121. The piano sounds are decent enough for my needs the others...they're OK.
Now I just need to learn to play.

Any recommendations for an interactive piano learning course?

I had typing in 7th grade before the electronic typewriters and long before schools had computer terminals. In fact my HS didn't get a mainframe computer with student terminals until after I graduated. LOL So in the early 80's I purchased the Mavis Beacon typing program and thought it was great. Inside of two weeks I was able to type after not having done so (and very poorly previously) since the 60's. The program was very repetitious. It started slow and simple and kept going back to any mistakes you made. If I warm up and practice a bit I can type 50-55 wpm.

So a similar interactive piano learning program makes sense to me, for me.

Thanks !

Reaction score
Do you have an iPad?

If you do then if you buy a genuine Apple Camera Connection adaptor and connect it up to your P121 then power everything on you can use the Apps that are readily available in the App Store.

Best of all if you register your P121 you will find that there is an unlcok code for a three month free trial of the App Flowkey.

I made use of the App when I bought my P121 as it was free and having Yorkshire blood in my veins and there is a saying Ya don't oftn gt owt fa nowt which means something for nothing is hard to say no to.

There are other Apps for which a Google search will show you the options.

Ask a Question