New Church keyboard / stage piano

Reaction score
I have been given the task of finding a new keyboard / stage piano for my church. We have a maximum of £2000 to spend but obviously would like to spend less if possible.

We mainly use piano, pad, string, organ and synth sounds. There isn't really a need to edit/customise sounds. It would also be ideal to have a very easy to use transpose function.

So far I have looked at the Yamaha CP5, Roland RD300 and RD700. I do think, though that the RD700 has too many features. Can anyone advise on the above or any others you think might be good?

Thanks!

Reaction score
2nd hand clavinova that takes a music rest and a used Juno D for the pads and other stuff. Should leave you a stack of change from £2000.

Reaction score
Really only want one things though rather than a clavinova - plus they want to buy new for guarantee etc..

Reaction score
Looking online you can get an S90 new for a bout £1,600 so it might well be a good option. Thanks!

Reaction score
Yamaha S90 - not convinced.

I don't know the set-up but any time I've played in a church I've been much happier with a solid music rest that's part of the instrument than a portable folding stand. For music theatre stuff (where you can be set up for a few days of shows) I've a solid two tier thing with a plank of wood for a long angled music rest (painted black - it's not as ugly as it sounds and only the front row can see it).

Do you already have an instrument - a pipe organ or an acoustic piano for hymns and incidental music during offerings/communion whatever? If so and it's just a keyboard for busking chords along with those Mission Praise type choruses - the S90 and a separate stand will do rightly.

If I'm doing a wedding or being brought in to accompany a recital in a church, chapel, whatever - carol service, Handel's Messiah - I'm looking for a solid music rest close to me that there's no chance of someone bumping into and knocking over.

Just my tuppence worth.

Reaction score
Looking online you can get an S90 new for a bout £1,600 so it might well be a good option. Thanks!

New!? You can't get the S90 new... It's been discontinued - and for a while now.

There's been the S90ES, and now the S90XS - so it's a 3 generation old keyboard :)

Reaction score
I'm going to bow out here (with apologies for cluttering up the thread) - had a bass player round today for a jam (remember those) who is actually in a "praise band."

Turns out I know damn all about what you guys get up to in a modern church and the sort of music you play.

If you need to know about a rig for a successful rendition of the (western) religious music back catalogue from Bach onwards as far as hymns still in SATB - I'll join in.

For now I wish you luck and leave you in the very capable hands of Burn4Him who is actually in a Praise Band (I think) and Skipp who looks like Tori Amos (don't spoil it for me Skipp) and owns a Yamaha CP-33 - which may fit your needs perfectly.

Reaction score
I have been given the task of finding a new keyboard / stage piano for my church. We have a maximum of £2000 to spend but obviously would like to spend less if possible.

We mainly use piano, pad, string, organ and synth sounds....

I have been using my Korg M50-88 as my main keyboard for the last 18 months-or-so, ( on the back of owning this, I just upgraded to it's 'big brother' - Korg M3).

It has been great in all of the departments you describe... decent pianos, decent organs, + great pads & synths.... & realy easy to use.

The 88-note version has a properly weighted keyboard (very useful for piano playing!) & the current rertail price is about £1399.00.

Can't see that you'll do better than that for your needs.

Ask a Question