New midi keyboard.

Reaction score
i have an Alesis which sucks.

Looked at a few online and went in today to my local store.

Checked out an M Audio whose key action was OK but it would not see my iPad.

A Roland A49 felt great but again it would not see my iPad, the Sales Rep saud that it probably needed power feeding into the iPad camera connector that I had hooked up.

So
I took a punt and bought it, tried it at home and got the error message ..... the A series does not support the iPad.

So it will be back to the store on Monday to get my cash back or swap it over for a Roland GoKeys which would be for my Grandson to play when he visits and yet I can also use it as Midi.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I have an M-Audio Axiom 61-II, but I've never tried to connect it to my iPad. I'll give it a shot and report back. It shouldn't need a driver, so I guess the only possible issue is whether it needs more power from the USB than the iPad can provide. Although the M-Audio didn't come with a power adapter, it does have a jack for one, so that's something else to try if the USB connection alone isn't enough.

Reaction score
Michael
I have the iPad camera kit and fed by iPad’s charger into the camera kit, it is then I got the error message.

The A49 did not give any response on the iPad when the power supply was not conected.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I don't think you're supposed to use the charger with the camera connection kit. If the keyboard can't draw enough power from the iPad through the camera connection kit, I think the best thing to do is use a power adapter with the keyboard, or maybe use a powered USB hub with (or instead of?) the camera connection kit. Anyway, I don't have a Roland to try, but I'll try my M-Audio Axiom 61-II later.

Reaction score
You may well be right

There is no seperate power supply, only the USB socket.

Its all packed up and I am taking it back on Monday.

The store has a Roland Go Keys in stock so I will test that out and if OK then I will buy it.

The Go Keys if OK would certainly be far better for my Grandson to play and for me to carry to a self help keyboard club I belong to and yet it and my Korg can do the DAW connection if required.

Looked at some of the Go Apps which the Gkid will love playing with.

Ask a Question