No Output after playing midi-file

Reaction score
Hello,

I own a Roland Prelude and use it for playing midi-files. With the files of yamaha keboard repertoire series i have the problem, that after playing one file, the output is stopped. I can navigate through the menu but there is no sound at all when replaying or pressing a key or starting a style. After restarting the keyboard or playing a demo everything works fine. In the menu local filter is on. But maybe there is a command in the midi-file? If you have any suggestions, please don't hesitate to answer.

Reaction score
This is not unusual. Some midi files contain commands known as sysex messages that can confuse the keyboard. Two cases in point: a midi file for a Roland keyboard that contains a GS (Roland) voice reset sysex can confuse a Yamaha keyboard with an XG (Yamaha) voice set and vice versa. The quick fix, as you have already discovered, is just to power the keyboard off and back on, but if it is a file that you use quite often, there are programs that you can download for free that will strip sysex messages from midi files. Be sure to make a back up first, as they can sometimes damage the file beyond repair.

Reaction score
Thank you very much! The problem was caused by the sysex. I deleted all of them and now i can replay the songs unlimited. But with some files i get a bad output, they sound wrong. I'm sure that is because i deleted all of the sysex. But there are a lot of them and finding out which i can delete and which not would take a lot of time. Can you recommend me a program which automatically deletes only the right sysex? Or can you give me a hint at specific sysex? I use Linux Debian and Windows 7. The midi sequencer i use is rosegarden.

Regards,
Jannick

Reaction score
Your results are unfortunate. That means that the author has used sysex messages instead of conventional bank and Program Change (PC) events to assign tones (voices) to the various MIDI tracks and in place of conventional Continuous Controller (CC) events for controlling such things as volume, pan, etc. Sysex messages are, by design, brand (manufacturer) specific. Some (many ?) are even model specific. Which sysex messages will or will not confuse a different brand's or model's operating system is anybody's guess. Manufacturers do this for two reasons. Some things are better done, or can only be done, via sysex messages, but use of brand or model specific messages is also a sort of cheap and dirty lock on your code. "If you want to play our MIDI files, you have to buy our hardware."

This now brings us to a sticky issue that must be dealt with before any further public discussion of this matter, here or on any other forum. In rereading your original post, I realized that you are talking about Yamaha proprietary MIDI files that you apparently purchased for a Yamaha keyboard at some time in the past. If you read the copyright notice that came with those files, I am sure that Yamaha grants you full private use of those files for personal entertainment, but would consider any modification or reverse engineering of their code, to make it useable on a competitor's equipment, as an infringement upon their copyright. What you do in private is between you and your conscience, but to discuss it publicly is to invite members of Yamaha's legal staff to appear on our respective doorsteps fully armed with subpoenas some dark and dreary morning.

One thing you could consider is to send a reset code to your Prelude in between the problem MIDI files. Whether or not this would work depends upon how "locked-up" the Prelude is. If it will still accept a reset code, then it would load and play the next MIDI file. This is just a matter of generating a MIDI file with only the reset code in it. Just play that MIDI file, and the Prelude should (may) reset. You might be tempted to attach this code to the Yamaha MIDI files, but there again, that is "modifying" THEIR code. If you keep the reset file separate, you are just sending YOUR code to YOUR equipment to reset what THEIR code screwed up. I know this is splitting legal hairs, but at least it might give you something workable without leaving your finger and foot prints all over THEIR code.

You can find a set of various reset sysex messages at the following address. The Prelude is a GM2 device, so you will want the GM2 reset message:

http://www.gnmidi.com/handbook/english/submenu_resetoperations.htm

Good luck !

Reaction score
I play now a gm2 reset before each song and everything works fine. GNMIDI is a very useful program. Thanks.

Ask a Question