P115 sounds "Basey"?

Reaction score
i have recently purchased this piano model. I mainly use it with headphones and it sounds great ( just like a piano!). When I remove the headphones and go to speakers it sounds very subdued and bassy - not lively at all. Anyone suggest why? maybe there is a fault as I can see no setting which changes this. I have of course tried all settings that may affect it. Thanks.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Check in your manual if there are any EQ settings.

Alternatively if there are no EQ settings you could always add an external mixer and amplifier or studio monitors and control the EQ settings from the mixer.

Otherwise you may simply be expecting too much from a low end home electronic piano.. This is why I generally avoid electronic keyboards with built in speakers.

Gary

Reaction score
I have now tried one at a shop and confirm the sound is the same. Will now get a speaker connected to see if the tone is different as with headphones.

Reaction score
Check in your manual if there are any EQ settings.

Alternatively if there are no EQ settings you could always add an external mixer and amplifier or studio monitors and control the EQ settings from the mixer.

Otherwise you may simply be expecting too much from a low end home electronic piano.. This is why I generally avoid electronic keyboards with built in speakers.

Gary
Gary thanks, you're probably right as it only cost about £450. I have seen reviews on Tube and they sound OK over the 'net' so I wonder if their recording methods use amps etc. Do you know of a combined Eq/Amp thats compact suitable to mount into the units stand and use for home environment only (25W)? Cheers.

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm looking for a smaller Amp+ Equalr. so it fits (screw onto side panel) within the supplied stand. Only used in a home so 20W so 20W should do Not looking for a separate unit.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
[...] This is why I generally avoid electronic keyboards with built in speakers.

Gary

I concur that keyboards with built in speakers won't have the same sound as running through a mixer, power amp, and some good studio quality speakers. On the other hand, there's something to be said about the immediacy of just sitting down and playing.

My old setup had all my keyboards (see in the attic, below) running through a mixer, power amp, and good speakers. Unfortunately, my wife's dog thought the mixer was a great place to lay down, looking out the window. When I wanted to sit and play, I had to turn everything on, then check all the solo/mute buttons on the mixer, adjust the levels, etc. Not quite the same as just sitting down and playing.

The sounds I get on the DGX-650 are reasonable, so I'm OK with it. But others may be pickier, or not have a dog.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I have to toggle no less than 13 power switches in sequence to fire up and to shut down my home studio.

It's not really that big of a deal, and it eventually becomes a sort of Zen ritual to prepare me for a session :)

Then again I have no pets or children or spouses or other such distractions to speak of so my equipment is always exactly as I left it :)

Then again, firing up the WK-6600 and amp in the bedroom only requires two switches and I'm off to the races when I just wanna noodle around.

Usually during the day I also keep a laptop running in the living room with a 49 Key Controller and some soft synths patched up and ready to go.

Upshot is, no matter where I am in the house at any given time, an instrument is a few steps away when inspiration strikes :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I've bought a Zoom-44 Audio i/f so look forward to hooking that in. Further research suggests I need to try to fiddle with the C2 - C4 frequencies to try and eliminate the "bassy" output I am getting in my room acoustics.

Ask a Question