Pa700 as Audio Interface

3dc

Reaction score
My Yamaha PSR- E463 works like simple but quite effective audio interface with Stainberg ASIO drivers. I wonder if Korg Pa700 also supports ASIO and could it be used as audio interface in the same way. Or this is a bad idea in the first place and I should really buy a separate audio interface?
Also, I can't find the recording, sampling and playback format of Pa700 in manual or Korg website. I am guessing it should be at least 44.1 kHz, 16 bit, stereo. Right?

Thanks for clarification.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Recording format internally to the Pa700 is MP3 or MIDI

It will also play MP3 files, mine that I played on my PA700 were 240 or 320 bps.

An added feature is that it will also play MIDI files and even can convert the MIDI file into a Style, where it makes a best guess at instruments so some tweaking of the Style may be required.

I connected mine up to my Laptop and had no issues with it.

Korg’s Songbook Editor software also worked very well.

Also checkout the Korg Bonusware website for the free Style and Sound packs available.

Check out Korg Crowdcast for their webinars.

For customer support Korg by way of its freebies, blitzes other manufacturers.

This is the short form manual

3dc

Reaction score
Sorry for asking again but can you please confirm that Pa700 can save recordings in 44.1 kHz WAV format. I checked both manuals again but all I can find is mp3 formats.

Thanks for help.

Reaction score
Unless the Korg OS system has changed since I had my 700 you can only save as MIDI or MP3.

If you are checking manuals do ensure that the manual relates to the current OS as there have been a lot of changes to the OS since the 700 was released.

The updates are not so much to correct faults but more to unlock improved functions and features.

3dc

Reaction score
Apparently both Pa1000 and Pa700 will not record in any uncompressed audio format. In contrast half cheaper Korg Kross 2 workstation is able to record in PCM audio format 48kHz/16bit.

This is quite strange and surprising. Anyway thanks again for help.

Reaction score
That is a very valid point that I always failed to understand why Korg have done what they have, not that the system in the Kross is particularly good. I had a Kross 2 and recording with it was not straightforward.

With the PA if recording quality is an issue remember the MIDI capabilities, the file can always be put into a DAW and an uncompressed audio file generated therein.

A quick search shows that a Yamaha SX700 records to both WAV and to MP3 so maybe this would be a better option for you.

As a side comment, I did try the recording function on a Roland FA07 and was impressed with how easy it was.

3dc

Reaction score
A quick search shows that a Yamaha SX700 records to both WAV and to MP3 so maybe this would be a better option for you.
I am in no hurry. My little E463 gives a lot of music for newbie like me. If DAW workflow is possible to get lossless audio recording I will then keep an eye on Korg Pa700 rather then SX700. :)

Reaction score
There was a minor Korg OS update released in February which was a surprise or rather the surprise what that it was only a minor upgrade.

The Pa4X had a brand new OS in the OS Next as it was called and this level of upgrade was expected to roll out to the 1000 and 700.

Korg certainly need to up their game at this level since the Yamaha SX models are much superior to the old S models.

If you are serious about buying a Pa700 then the tutorials in this series will help you learn about the Pa before you get hands on playing of one.

3dc

Reaction score
If you are serious about buying a Pa700 then the tutorials in this series will help you learn about the Pa before you get hands on playing of one.
Thanks but I already went over them like 100 times just be sure it will be the right instrument for me. That is why I ask questions here when something is not so clear to me. Hope you don't mind. :)

Reaction score
No problem, ask away.

But do try hands on with a 700 if you can, just to be sure, when the time is right for you.

The OS will take some effort to get to know and my threads may help you.

Ask a Question