Piano Apps For Beginners

Reaction score
I should get my new Yamaha P45 today or tomorrow which comes with 3 Months of the Skoove App, It doesn't work on Android as an App but i think i can use it in the Browser. Just asking i suppose if it works in say Google Chrome will i be able to use the midi features as i would be able to in a App. I would like your opinions on the best App for learning though i know a lot of you don't like them or use them. I like the look of Flowkey but not 100% sold on any.
Thanks For Reading.

3dc

Reaction score
I wouldn't bet much on apps. You will learn a lot of good and even more bad stuff. What you need before any apps is a piano instructor or if you can't afford that a Primer Piano Course where you first learn proper piano posture, hand position, fingering, warm up, scales, rhythm and other basics. No app can do that I am afraid without introducing bad habits.

My suggestion is for "An Accelerated Piano Course for Beginners - Piano Lessons" on Udemy.com. Its extremely basic and easy course for beginners but IMHO the next best thing to first critical hours with piano instructor. If interested make sure you buy the course ONLY when its on sale usually around 12 USD!

Once you go trough this you can safely use any piano app on the market.

Good luck in your piano learning journey!

Reaction score
Flowkey is the App you will get a 3 months free trial of with your Yamaha.

Skoove I think is what Korg bundle with their DP’s.

Casio have Cordana which I thing is mire than a learning app.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, as always. I did look at one you recommended to another member @Biggles called Piano Genius. I have just finished watching the first 10 Video's which were brilliant. Most of the Apps i want are on iOS and although i have a iPhone i like a bigger screen, other than that i am more geared to learning on Android. I would like Skoove but not checked if i can play it through my Android Tablet Browser which i meant to check earlier, there is also another and i think it's called Piano Playground which is also iOS. I am getting a Mac from my sister who lives next door but she is waiting for one of here Daughters to clear everything on it or off it. I don't know how long that is going to take. My Yamaha isn't coming till Monday according to UPS Tracking so hoping the Mac will be sorted by them. Also @3dc I can't go out so a Piano Instructor is out of the question plus the cost would be too high for me. I have looked at the Primer books but will hold off till Monday. Lastly i have Flowkey on my Tablet already but don't want to be paying them when i really want something else, i will learn the Chords on Piano Genius and see how i get on.

Reaction score
The App isn't called Piano Playground it's called Playground Sessions and is sponsored by Harry Connick Jr, also i think Quincey Jones had something to do with it's creation. It does look good though.

Reaction score
When I bought my Alesis Recital Pro several months back (I love it, by the way) it came with three months of Skoove for free. I tried it for about six weeks and then discontinued it. For a free app, it was fun, and I learned parts of some popular songs. Lots of people enjoy piano apps and they get people playing who haven't played before. But for me, I felt it hindered my development. I have since continued with my Piano In 21 Days Course (which is chord based and does not rely on reading music). I can look up nearly any song, find the chords, and sit down and play the song at will. I have also increased my improv skills and am now composing as well.

Reaction score
The App isn't called Piano Playground it's called Playground Sessions and is sponsored by Harry Connick Jr, also i think Quincey Jones had something to do with it's creation. It does look good though.
I have been very satisfied with Playground Sessions. I love the fact that I can go at my own pace. The lessons are broken down into "bite-sized" chunks and you can repeat ANY lesson previously completed as a review. I highly recommend it.

Reaction score
I had previously tried (30-day free trial) FlowKey, and felt it was "OK". I liked the mode where it would wait until you played the right key(s). Depending on your country, you may get 3 months of FlowKey with your Yamaha P45.
I tried out Playground Sessions (30-day trial last fall) and decided to purchase a subscription. As OrganMusicGuy mentions, you go at your own pace. As you complete sections it will often open up new courses. They have a 30-day refund. One nice bonus is that you can print out the music scores of the songs you purchase. (You get five free song credits each month). I recall reading that not all apps allow you to print the music scores.
When I bought my Roland FP-30 they offered 3 months of Skoove. I tried it, but found it a bit 'gameified'.
My suggestion.... If you get 3 months of FlowKey, give it a whirl. You can always try Playground Sessions and see which one you prefer. Don't spend too much time in one or the other app until you make your decision.

My $0.02. YMMV.
Play on!

Reaction score
When I bought my Yamaha it came with the three months free trial of Flowkey.

Out of interest I subscribed and diligently worked through all the exercises.

I went through each exercise at a slow pace and also started to learn some of the songs on offer.

A significant downside was the inability to printout the exercises or the sheet music for the songs on offer.

In use the software worked very well with note recognition taking place very accurately and the system paused when I hit a wrong note or simply when I did not play a note.

You can set its preference to monitor both or either hand so that is good if you are wanting to target specific learning.

At the end of a month I had completed the whole of the learning exercises on offer.

Is Flowkey worth it?

Well yes and no, a newbie should complete all the learning exercises within the trial basis so its a yes for that but long term it is probably a no.

It is a piano learning app, it is not an app for those wanting to play a keyboard.

So do take advantage of the free trial, but remember to cancel prior to the end of the free period if it dies not work for you.

Reaction score
I never got a trial with the Yamaha so wasn't really in a position to go much further than learn one song on Flowkey. Trying Simply Piano again later but my intention is to use Gigajam, they give you a Certificate of Music upto Grade 5 and it's only a few pennies under £10. I am waiting on my Mac arriving as i really wanted to try Skoove before going to Gigajam.

Reaction score
If you have not subscribed it may be worth just registering and seeing what emails arrive.

I turned off the subscription with the Flowkey and a couple of days later received a heavily discounted offer, maybe Gigajam will do the same.

Reaction score
Thanks @Biggles i do quite like Flowkey and will look to see how i turn subscription off, i don't think Gigajam will lower their prices anymore as a Tenner a month is dirt cheap anyway but worth a go i suppose. Plus the Certification is also a bonus though i think you have to pay £10 for the Certificates upto Grade 2 then i think it's £14 for the final 3, £14 each that is.

Ask a Question