Pitch and mod wheels

Reaction score
URL is NOT secure.

Not a big deal, if it's not a site you ever enter any data on. Any kind of site that has a field where you can enter data (a password, payment info, etc.) should be secure. But for something that simply displays information, it's really not an issue.

Reaction score
I wrote the patent myself. No lawyers.
Minimal expense.
Pitch requires converting to 2 7 bit word for the 16,383 steps needed for smooth pitch bend. That is done internally by the synth so I don’t need power supply. All I did was move pitch/mod potentiometers outside & made mod a sliding pot. Manufactured as part of synth, maybe $100 retail. I used hardware store items for prototype

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I can see the name Craig Jackson imbeddded top left corner of video.. I see where "crackerjack" is derived.
Congratulations Craig, despite all controversy, You have created a superb sound and make that pitch bending bar look easy use.
Cheers mate.
Good luck with the patent.
Ray

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually I've just come up with improvements that totally obsolete and negate your patent. :p

I'm not making any unsafe disclosures. :D :D :D

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Everything on earth is in line for improvements and modifications. Most developments and achievements over the decades, (centuries even) have been proven to be worthwhile. It takes talent, knowhow and smart thinking to research, design and develop any such thing to make life easier or cost effective or to make use of resources available.

Not all inventions are suitable or desireable for everyone. The pitch bend bar may not be desirable for every keyboard musicians, but having seen Craig's use of it, I give it thumbs up.

Although it is healthy and helpful to be critical to the inventor offering ideas for improvements, it is not nice to make mockery or be degrading.

I applaud Craig for standing ground amidst criticism and believe his invention will have a place for keyboardists worldwide.

Ray

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm not kidding.

I've come up with a couple of cheaper, less obtrusive designs without much added effort.

That's the problem with owning a patent.

Technology leaves you behind before the ink even dries.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, over a decade ago I came up with a velocity sensitive optronic keyswitch that I kicked around for a while until I decided to scrap it and released it to public domain.

I also released a low cost design for a braille reader/display to open source.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, if you plan to patent an optronic version, Roland might have something to say about taking their D-Beam Technology and turning it sideways. :D

Reaction score
As a builder of weird musical instruments, I like it!

This is pretty innovative and looks suited for the specific conditions in the video. Necessity is the mother of invention, and if it works, it works. I am no stranger to building unusual musical contraptions that have raised a few eyebrows, but as I learned programming, my build projects became less frequent and replaced with software. I might have instead copied the knee-levers under a pedal-steel guitar for complete hands-free operation, but if you're standing like in the video, I guess that wouldn't work. I also use my right thumb too much to charge it with another task, and the hand motion required to actuate the bar would definitely affect my playing. It is certainly not something you could just start playing with, you would have to alter your playing style.

I can see how this would work for a two keyboard setup, but if you're using one keyboard split, you wouldn't want the pitch bend to affect the bassline or chords or whatever your left hand is playing. I just use grace notes to mimic bends anyway, but if I really needed a hands-free pitch wheel that bad, I'd probably just write a program to trigger on a message from my expression foot pedal, cancel the expression message, and output a pitch bend message instead. You'd have to choose either up or down, not both, because centering wouldn't be possible. Similarly, a simple on/off pedal could be used to trigger multiple bend messages on a curve over time - like a time specified by the user as a variable or something. Program a linear, or exponential curve, or have that as another user option. Either way, you could also program it to not affect notes below the split, and even have the user specify where the split is. My point is, that there is a lot you can do with software and off-the-shelf controllers before you need to resort to building/buying custom mechanical actuators. It's not an old mechanical punch-tape fed player piano we're modifying here, it's a computer. Software can just tell it to do anything.

None of that means I don't like it, though. Because I do. It's awesome and strange, and not unlike stuff I've built, to be honest. It satisfies its intended purpose, and most certainly is not boring. I just don't see it gaining huge popularity as a product over software and standard controllers. It's purpose is too specific to a two-keyboard setup, and not really user friendly if it has to tap directly into the keyboard's pitch bend and modulation circuitry as described. I might have just had it send midi messages to the midi-in port.

That wasn't even my two cents.. that was like a quarter. Sorry about that. Now, please excuse me while I go write code to turn my volume pedal into a pitch wheel :D

Ask a Question