Powered Monitors for keyboard

Reaction score
I've got big stuff for gigging, and a couple of sets of decent over-the-ear headphones for quiet practice, but I'm considering a set of powered monitors as well, largely for home use. My first choice at the moment is a set of Rokit 8's. I'm looking at a combination of power, decent response (including bass) and budget. I realize there are flatter monitors, other monitors for mixing and recording and all that.

So I'd welcome suggestions (this isn't something that's going to happen immediately, so I've got time to hunt down something used, if it will fit better in the budget that way).

Reaction score
While we're waiting for someone to chime in, what are the rest of you using to amplify your keyboards (besides the PA, that is)?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I use a set of M-Audio BX5A's for practice at home. The price was right and the 70 Watt output is plenty loud enough for a home environment. I managed to pick up a pair of them about 4 years ago for about $240 CDN.

Then again the KRK Rockits get rave reviews. I doubt you'd have any problems with those either.

Gary

Reaction score
Thanks! As it turned out, the Rokit 8's were going through an update (they're now "Gen3") and the replaced "Gen2" versions are being closed out. They're down in the $140-150 range now, where the Gen3s are around $249. So I snagged a pair. (90W should be plenty for home practice). The new ones get 10W more and perhaps a new/different control on the back (Haven't seen them yet). I'll let you know once I get rolling...

I use a set of M-Audio BX5A's for practice at home. The price was right and the 70 Watt output is plenty loud enough for a home environment. I managed to pick up a pair of them about 4 years ago for about $240 CDN.

Then again the KRK Rockits get rave reviews. I doubt you'd have any problems with those either.

Gary

Reaction score
Hello, for live use I send a mono signal to a QSC K10 powered speaker. Plenty loud and sounds good.

Regards,
Gord

Reaction score
Hello, for live use I send a mono signal to a QSC K10 powered speaker. Plenty loud and sounds good.

Regards,
Gord

Thanks. I'm familiar with the K10s, and they're good pieces. Very compact.
I've actually got some friends that are using K12s and the matching subs (there's a stand that mounts on the sub that holds the K12). Very good, very clean cabinets.

Ask a Question