Presonus audiobox Itwo midi interface partially working.

Reaction score
Dear forum

Got a presonus Itwo coupled between Yamaha PSR-510 and Computer. It is a linux computer. The Itwo seems to have problems receiving the exact MIDI messages. Now and then it receives (or maybe understands) a 'note on' followed by the correct 2 bytes. It will not receive a 'note off' after that. Sometimes it receives only the 'note off' signal (3 bytes) It always produces the 1st byte (HEX 90) whenever I press or release a key, but not followed by the 2 bytes you'd expect after that. The other way around works fine, I can play a .mid file throught the presonus Itwo and my keyboard. This shows a correct DIN cable.

The presonus Itwo has a MIDI input and output, I tried several different DIN cables I've got. short ones, longer ones. Always the same result. I also have a cheap China midi-usb converter (had to upgrade it with an optical chip, but that works fine now), and with that I do receive all the right signals you would expect.

PC running Fedora 35, I monitor with amidi.

Someone else having the same issues? I read at the presonus forum others have, but I am not allowed to react to that post at the presonus forum.

What could be the issue? Could the signal from the keyboard be too weak?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I've been running Linux desktops and recording with them for over two decades now.

One rule you often have to learn the hard way is that some brands work worse than others,

It pays to do your homework before shelling out for anything with a USB connection.

From experience I can tell you that Yamaha has a terrible history with Linux and as for Presonus, I own 3 sets of their speakers but none of their other gear.

All I can tell you is do your homework before you buy and make sure it's 100% USB MIDI Class compliant.

Now I hope you find a workaround but I'm suggesting posting in the linux audio forums for a fix.

Good Luck...

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, let us know if you find out anything that works with your interface. ;)

And if yer not married to RPMs then I'd suggest installing a DEB distro and installing KXstudio and you'll find audio setup becomes a little more refined and less difficult.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Also, if you want to know an audio interface that works well with Linux, take a look at the Behringer interfaces.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks Gary. When XP retired I gave up the uSoft stuff and installed linux. Could be some 15 years now. Currently noodling around with Ardour, that looks pretty good.

I have a hard time 'believing' you when you say that linux won't work with some midi interfaces. It is just midi and it is very well documented. The Yamaha keyboard is not connected to linux, it outputs just Midi and that should be processed by the presonus, which it does not...

Maybe the presonus has some flaws. I read that windows requires a special driver, so that could be the case.
I looked at the Behringer and that was on my possible buy list as well, but I came across the Presonus first (bought it from an equivalent Craig's list) and it got good reviews. The Presonus acts very well as an analog interface with Ardour. I just wanted to try the midi input in combination with my keyboard. I do have another simple interface that seems to work well, so I do not need the presonus per se. It would be nice though if I get it right.

Ask a Question