PSR-620 + GOTEK Floppy Emulator

Reaction score
Good evening Boro94,
I'm trying to edit the FF.CFG and img.CFG files for my Yamaha PSR620, starting from scratch without help from someone who has already done it is very difficult, would you be able to send a copy of your pendrive with the FF.CFG and img.CFG files that is working on your Yamaha PSR620 for me to use as a model? Sincerely, I am very grateful if you help me.

Reaction score
This thread is quite confusing because there is a MIX of comment pertaining to std GoTek software and FlashFLoppy software.

Once you flash a GoTek to flashfloppy firmware, you cannot go back to the OEM GoTek firmware.

The FF.CFG file (containing optional configurations) only pertains if your using Flashfloppy firmware.

The "USB Floppy Manager" or "USB Floppy Emulator 1.40i" are basically the same and are windows software for the GoTek OEM firmware only, and not for use with FlashFloppy firmware. I've found I can just take a new USB stick and create the 100 (0 thru 99) floppies using this crappy windows software and then set put files into each of the floppy folders (upload directory) and then at the end, click download button and it will put the files from local folders to USB stick. Its kind of confusing process, but fairly easy one you realize its a simple upload/download process and it syncs the files from PC upload folders to USB stick.

Whereas once you switch to using FlashFloppy firmware, you are just creating disk image files (often .img or ima but supports many image formats) ... and then putting those image files onto the USB drive manually. It has the advantage of being about to create many more disks (more than 100) and those disks can contain folders and subfolders if you want. (I'm not sure we should use folders and subfolders unless you also have the OLED and known mod and can navigate those folders with that, then scan the current folder with the PSR).

Supposedly the windows software might not be good at flopy disk sizes other than 1.44mb, but it does have options for 1.44M, 1.2M AND 720K (if it actually works). FOr me the 1.44M format option create 100 floppy disks just fine using the GoTek OEM firmware and then syncs to the USB stick.

Once I put the USB stick into my PSR-630 (not 620) it read the current disk as identified by the 3 character red LED on the GoTek.
So if I want it to read floppy 2, I press the right button twice (goes from 0 to1 to 2) and then PSR read the files in the disk2 folder. If I want to go back to disk 1, I have to scroll thru (3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0 and back to 1) and then the PSR reads the files in the disk1 folder.
If I want folder 11, then I can click the left button once and it now is reading disk 11. This was explained better above on page 1 of this thread.

My point was the clarify that this thread is mixing up discussions of GoTek and FlashFloppy firmware and software options, so I wanted to clarify the two options better.

I'm having such good luck with the GoTek firmware and the 1.40i software that I doubt I'll go with the flashfloppy firmware.

They do sell an already modded gotek on ebay, but I realized that most people doing this are using amiga or other legacy computers ... so not sure how well flashfloppy works with psr keyboards. Interested in how the folders work or don't work.
For $50 this already modded gotek looks interesting and uses a higher end chipset than can be had on amazon ... https://www.ebay.com/itm/185612411239

Scott

Reaction score
This thread is quite confusing because there is a MIX of comment pertaining to std GoTek software and FlashFLoppy software.

Once you flash a GoTek to flashfloppy firmware, you cannot go back to the OEM GoTek firmware.

The FF.CFG file (containing optional configurations) only pertains if your using Flashfloppy firmware.

The "USB Floppy Manager" or "USB Floppy Emulator 1.40i" are basically the same and are windows software for the GoTek OEM firmware only, and not for use with FlashFloppy firmware. I've found I can just take a new USB stick and create the 100 (0 thru 99) floppies using this crappy windows software and then set put files into each of the floppy folders (upload directory) and then at the end, click download button and it will put the files from local folders to USB stick. Its kind of confusing process, but fairly easy one you realize its a simple upload/download process and it syncs the files from PC upload folders to USB stick.

Whereas once you switch to using FlashFloppy firmware, you are just creating disk image files (often .img or ima but supports many image formats) ... and then putting those image files onto the USB drive manually. It has the advantage of being about to create many more disks (more than 100) and those disks can contain folders and subfolders if you want. (I'm not sure we should use folders and subfolders unless you also have the OLED and known mod and can navigate those folders with that, then scan the current folder with the PSR).

Supposedly the windows software might not be good at flopy disk sizes other than 1.44mb, but it does have options for 1.44M, 1.2M AND 720K (if it actually works). FOr me the 1.44M format option create 100 floppy disks just fine using the GoTek OEM firmware and then syncs to the USB stick.

Once I put the USB stick into my PSR-630 (not 620) it read the current disk as identified by the 3 character red LED on the GoTek.
So if I want it to read floppy 2, I press the right button twice (goes from 0 to1 to 2) and then PSR read the files in the disk2 folder. If I want to go back to disk 1, I have to scroll thru (3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0 and back to 1) and then the PSR reads the files in the disk1 folder.
If I want folder 11, then I can click the left button once and it now is reading disk 11. This was explained better above on page 1 of this thread.

My point was the clarify that this thread is mixing up discussions of GoTek and FlashFloppy firmware and software options, so I wanted to clarify the two options better.

I'm having such good luck with the GoTek firmware and the 1.40i software that I doubt I'll go with the flashfloppy firmware.

They do sell an already modded gotek on ebay, but I realized that most people doing this are using amiga or other legacy computers ... so not sure how well flashfloppy works with psr keyboards. Interested in how the folders work or don't work.
For $50 this already modded gotek looks interesting and uses a higher end chipset than can be had on amazon ... https://www.ebay.com/itm/185612411239

Scott
Scott I am going to try this for my psr-9000. I have spent many hours trying to get style files on the usb for the 9000 which an emulator was put in a while back. Will post my results. George

Reaction score
Hi @olimpioportilho,
Here is a link to the User manual for
Floppy to USB emulator
Model: SFRM72-FU-DL

https://www.linuxrouen.fr/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Gotek_SFRM72-FU-DL_F21_User-Manual-EN.pdf

I had a little trouble trying to understand how to use the GOTEK with this manual.

So here are my comments which I hope will help you.

Firstly the USB Flash Drive.

Use a normal USB flash drive to transfer files.
Format as FAT32. I did this on my Windows 10 PC.

DO NOT use USB Floppy ManegerII V1.31T software

Create folders in the root of the flash drive 001, 002, 003…….999. Make as many as you need. You can add more later if needed. So now if you open the flash drive in Windows File Explorer you will see the folders 001, 002, etc that you made.

I have a copy of all the floppy discs that I had saved my compositions to, on my PC. The files from each floppy are saved in PC folders disc1, disc2, disc3, etc. I have about 20 floppy discs and a couple of Yamaha Styles floppy discs.

So I copied all the files in PC folder disc1 to USB flash drive folder 001, PC disc2 to USB 002, etc

Note; Each folder must have less than 720KB, just like the original floppy discs.

Now comes the tricky part.

BEFORE inserting USB into GOTEK you need to set the display on the GOTEK to show the folder # you want to transfer to the GOTEK.

With NO USB flash drive plugged into GOTEK:
Press the Left button to increase the tens-digit, the Right button to raise the units-digit, and press both buttons together to raise the hundreds-digit.

For example, if I want to use the files on my floppy disc 15, I would need to press the left button once and the right button five times and the display should be showing [015]

NOW insert the USB drive into the GOTEK.
Now press the RIGHT button to transfer the files from folder 015 into the GOTEK internal memory.
The display will change to [ d0] while transferring and then back to [015] when complete.
You can now remove the flash drive if you want.

Now you should be able to access all the files that were on disc 15 by pressing the {FILE} and {LOAD} buttons on the Keyboard just as you would have done after inserting floppy disc 15 into the old floppy drive setup.

Hopefully, you can work out the save procedure using the GOTEK LEFT button. Just remember to set the USB folder # before inserting the USB into the GOTEK.

I hope you find this helpful.
Mark
Mark I was happy to see this post. I have all but given up trying to get styles on my psr-9000. I had installed the Gotek a couple years back. Wow! I actually understood how to load the files now. I'm getting up there so It takes time to sink into my noggin. But the 9000 let me down again. Put usb with the styles in and it asks to format the disk. UGH!!

Ask a Question