PSR Creat Style - switch between loop and overdub

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am new to Yamaha PSR keyboards (just bought S770). There is a lot written about difference between the loop and overdub mode when creating your own style. But I can't find where to switch between those two modes. Can anyone help, please?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
As I interpret page 32 of the Reference Manual, "Loop Recording" and "Overdub Recording" cannot be turned on or off manually; instead, the keyboard handles this automatically (see below). Also, they are not either/or modes that you must switch between-- e.g., the "Overdub Recording" section on page 32 specifically refers to overdubbing while a Main section is looping [EDIT: which indicates that looping and overdubbing can be in effect at the same time].

Loop recording occurs automatically if you're recording a Main section, but does not occur if you're recording an Intro, Fill In, Break, or Ending. This is determined by how the different types of style sections are played by the keyboard-- Main sections are looped, whereas all other sections are not looped.

Overdub recording occurs automatically and is always in effect, with one exception-- if you're creating a style based on an existing preset style, you cannot overdub on top of a non-rhythm channel's preset data (because there is a flag inside the style which prevents that). Thus, if you record something, but then wish to re-record it from scratch rather than overdub on top of it, you must first use the Delete function to erase the data you've already recorded-- or use the Rhythm Clear function if you're working on a rhythm channel. And if you want to record to a non-rhythm channel, you will not be able to do so until after you've used the Delete function to erase that channel's preset data (if you're working from one of the internal preset styles).

That's how I interpret what the manual says. Someone who has experience using the Style Creation feature can verify whether or not my interpretation is correct.

Reaction score
Thanks, that explains a lot.

What I actually want is:
When I record a phrase I want in my new style, I usually play it wrong the first few times. Maybe I even change it in the meantime and realize it sounds better. I would want to be able to continuously play again and again until I do it right, without stopping, erasing, starting, etc. Just play the same pattern again and again and stop, when I would think I did it right (best).
It seems it doesn't work that way, does it?

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Apparently the only way to do what you want is to clear the loop's data each time so you can record it anew. Or you might try making the loop really long (I think you can go up to 32 bars) so you can record several iterations one after the other before the loop actually starts to repeat, then delete all of the bars except the ones that contain your best take. But I don't know how easy that would be, as my Yamaha models don't have the Style Creator feature.

Another option might be to use a DAW to record the parts of your style, save it as a MIDI file, and use one or more of the many utilities that are available to convert your MIDI file into a style file.

Reaction score
There is another thing with DAW -I use Ableton Live
How to set PSR MIDI in and OUT setings?
I want to play something on synth and record it on DAW
than I edit it in DAW and want to play it from DAW, but but with the proper sounds of the synth.
Just as DAW was integrated sequencer of the synth (like the PSR recording functionality)

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
You'll need to create a patch (or combo, or whatever the PSR calls it) with each part you want to hear available and assigned to a different channel. This means that sound one is assigned to MIDI channel 1, sound two is assigned to MIDI channel 2, etc. This means you're limited to 16 sounds. (The drum kit is usually considered a single sound, taking up a single channel.)

Then, in your DAW, you'll send each sound out on the specific MIDI channel for the corresponding sound.

Connect the MIDI Out of your computer to the MIDI In of the keyboard (or connect through the USB cord).

The next issue is the polyphony of your keyboard. It may not be able to sound all the notes you want played at a particular time, especially if you're using piano with sustain pedal.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I have Ableton Live 9 Lite, so I'll post the steps later.

Ask a Question