PSR E433 trying to get software to play drums

Reaction score
Greetings,

I have a PSR E433. I have it connected to my computer and the USB to midi driver is installed.

On two different software packages (Guitar Pro 5 and TuxGuitar) I am able to select the "digital keyboard" driver and all the sounds properly map/play except for drums, they default to a piano sounds.

Incidentally on a newer software package (guitar pro 6) it does play the drums properly. Unfortunately GP 6 has known issues with erratic midi playback thus it is not useable/reliable.

So how then do I get the drums to play back properly? What am I doing wrong?

FWIW I have used GP 5 to drive a DR 880 and Yamaha QY100 simultaneously and have no issues. I know just enough about midi to setup devices and play them thru software, but that is about it.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Channel 10 is a special MIDI channel reserved for percussion and drums. Switch your drum tracks to play on channel 10 and you should be good to go.

Gary

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Gary. I should have mentioned that I am already aware of the requirement to set drums to channel 10, so that's not my problem.

Any other thoughts?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Double check your software. Make certain the drum track is sending on channel 10. Also check your keyboard's MIDI settings and make certain it's sending and receiving on all channels and not only a single channel.

If all of those conditions are met it should be playing fine. Otherwise there may be some other MIDI setting I don't know about but I'm really not a Yamaha guy so if what I've suggested doesn't work perhaps someone else will step up with a solution.

Gary

Ask a Question