PSR-S670 Keybed question

Reaction score
The PSR S670 costs over a grand in Australia. (something like $1200 thereabouts). I would hardly call that a budget item.
The features and sound output of this model are supreme to my mind and having built in speakers makes it a perfect choice for home use. I intend to upgrade to this model oneday soon (maybe!) Depends whether I want to change brands or not. My shopping for up grade has not started yet!
Anyway as I stated earlier, If spending a grand you would expect perfection. A flat and level keybed is essential! I am glad Jimmy got his money back.
Ray

I would not agree that the S670 is perfect for home use, it is £500 in the UK which puts it in the low end of intermediate grade Arrangers.

If we assume that the likes of the E353 and E463 and equivalent Casio models are at the high end of beginner keyboards then surely the market changes above the E463.

The Roland BK 3 and 5 models would certainly be Arrangers of choice imho in the price range of the S670 with the Korg PA600 being at the top end of the price range. All three non Yanaha models I quote are certainly of superior build quality to any of the Yamahas in the price range and arguably of better sound quality and most certainly easier and less problematic interfacing the, into a home studio environment.

It is a pity that Arrangers in this price range are limited in makes and it is where Yamaha win, they flood the beginners market and hook newbies at the start of their musical learning.

Reaction score
Dear @HighlandStudio91
I want to be fair with you. I admit I took your comments personally and initially thought you were outspoken and offensive. I have reservations to be honest. I don't take derogatory remarks lightly is why I retaliated. However, I am not one for conflict and I would like to clear the air now and start afresh. If I misjudged you then I am sorry. Let's continue this debate in a civil manner.

To begin with it would be nice to know who you are. What is your name?

As for the RSR S750, you have made some valid points about it of which I agree. It is the model of which I intend to upgrade to as I have aleady mentioned. One day we both may own one and can guide each other through the complex operations of it. That would be a nice outcome.

As for the cost of it . .well that is where we fell apart. You think it is a reasononable price to pay for it's class and I agree. It is just that when Jimmy complained that his had a wonky keybed and it was upsetting for him. It obviously had a fault and was not up to standard. You seem to think he should have just accepted the fault and shut up about it. So that is your opinion and I respect that but I would certainly take it back for replacement. That is my opinion. I would hope you respect that.

So now, I want to say by all means state your opinions and let us move forward.
Your opinions are valuable to the keyboard community as long as they do not offend people.
My opinions are also valuable . . Please respect that.

I trust we can move on. These silly arguments can be upsetting. Let's nip it in the bud.

Footnote: apologies to all forum members if I have gone off track.

Ray. . back on track :)

Thanks for the kind reply.I suppose I could have worded my disagreement in a more lighthearted manner.I must admit that whenever I read about someone complaining about the price of an item that I consider to be a tremendous value,I get a bit irritated and in retrospect,I should not have become emotional about it,as I did and for that,I apologize.
I did not mean to come across as a Yamaha fanboy,as in fact,I have mixed feelings towards Yamaha.Like for instance,if someone complained about the price of a Genos arranger,I would be in full agreement about that,because in as much as the Genos is a beautiful instrument,$5500 is wildly expensive...in my opinion.

I am very passionate about musical gear and at times and I need to govern my enthusiasm,so as to not give the wrong impression.

I'm Thom by the way....pleased to meet with your acquaintance.:cool:

Reaction score
You obviously did not look at my signature, if you do so you will see the two Korg models I have, I am not totally pro Korg, they just suit my style and hearingin fact I only chose the Kross 2 over the DS61 purely on size and lack of weight as the Kross 2 cannot be beaten on ease of transportation.

No sure why you bought a Kross 2 as it is not an Arranger, its a budget Syth/Workstation and for £650 it and the Roland DS61 are the best non-arranger keyboards currently on the market, with the Roland DS88 at £1000 the best of its type in that price bracket.

Like I said the PA 700 that I own is streets ahead of the S970 interms of everything. The onboard sound of the Yamaha is very poor for a keyboard costing £1000 in the UK. I played both side by side in the store a couple of times before I bought the Korg, no comments from anyone will change my opinion in that the sound quality of the S970 is not as good as its competitors.

Cheaper Yamahas are budget models, its as simple as that, yet with the likes of the E463 an owner gets a great keyboard, sadly this does not relate to the S670 which is a good keyboard for its price but I do not see how it even compares to the Kross 2 whose sound suits me, and even the Roland DS61 which is £100 more in the UK than the S670 and sounds vastly superior to the Yamaha, but comparing the do it all arrangers with a synth/workstation whose sound is fed into an Amp costing more than the S670 is hardly a fair comparison.

For its cash point the S670 is a good keyboard wheras the S970 is not.

Excuse my oversight of your signature,as I guess I overlooked it,due to the text being colored in a light grey.

The reason for me choosing the Korg Kross 2,is that generally,I have been a workstation guy,for a few decades....but in recent years,I gained an interest in arrangers....but it wasn't until very recently,that I made a firm decision to purchase one.
The primary reason for me choosing the S670,is due to the fact that not only is it an arranger,but also a workstation.My interest in the arranger end of things,is that I really relish the idea of using the auto-accompaniment to generate ideas for writing new song material.
Years ago,I was a very prolific composer,as I had a flood of ideas for writing music,but in recent years,I've had a nasty,ongoing case of writer's block.
I have this friend on another forum,who uses the Band-In-A-Box software,to kickstart ideas for new material...but since I do not read music,I thought that me trying to use that software would be problematic,for me.
Besides which,there are times when I really miss have that wonderful,instantaneous synergy one gets from using hardware....something about having the sounds and controls being so tightly integrated,is very satisfying.
So....when I decided to research the new PSR-series,I fell in love with the S670 and I think it will be very instrumental,in regenerating my stagnant state of being.
I love everything about the S670 and I think it's an amazing & super affordable alternative to the Genos.The way I see it,is that the S670 will compliment my current computer set-up(whereas the Genos is more of a replacement,for a computer workstation.
Perhaps one day,I will pull the trigger on a Genos(such as when I see the price of it go down a bit.)In retrospect,I now really regret having hesitated for so long,on buying the Yamaha Motif XF...as by the time I was ready to buy one,it was out of production.

Reaction score
Thom

Glad you are happy with the kit that you have.

I did try the S670, a Roland BK5 and a Korg PA600 when I was looking to buy another keyboard, and was about to buy a PA 600 when the PA 700 was announced so ended up spending more than I intended, but that said it is great for me.

I have not yet tried a Genos nor its direct competitor the Korg PA4X, only because I do not want to get into the ... gotta get me one of these .... states, as I am already in that state after trying a Nord, all £3500 worth of it. Looking at a Genos in store it certainly seems and sounds a superb keyboard. Its eyewatering expensive and a considerable hike up from the Tyros.

I have heard a demo of the PA4X by a pro keyboard player and to say that that is an awesome keyboard in the right hands does not do it the justice it deserves. We have a Korg Club in the UK which is sponsored by Korg UK and they host demo evenings every three months or so which is how we heard the demo, on the night Pete switched from the 4X to a PA1000 and to a PA700, all being fed into the same PA system.

Not sure if Yamaha or Roland offer the same promo events but it would certainly no doubt generate interest in users and help keep them within the brand.

Reaction score
Thom

Glad you are happy with the kit that you have.

I did try the S670, a Roland BK5 and a Korg PA600 when I was looking to buy another keyboard, and was about to buy a PA 600 when the PA 700 was announced so ended up spending more than I intended, but that said it is great for me.

I have not yet tried a Genos nor its direct competitor the Korg PA4X, only because I do not want to get into the ... gotta get me one of these .... states, as I am already in that state after trying a Nord, all £3500 worth of it. Looking at a Genos in store it certainly seems and sounds a superb keyboard. Its eyewatering expensive and a considerable hike up from the Tyros.

I have heard a demo of the PA4X by a pro keyboard player and to say that that is an awesome keyboard in the right hands does not do it the justice it deserves. We have a Korg Club in the UK which is sponsored by Korg UK and they host demo evenings every three months or so which is how we heard the demo, on the night Pete switched from the 4X to a PA1000 and to a PA700, all being fed into the same PA system.

Just to be clear,I had sold my Korg Kross 2 and have yet to pull the trigger on the S670(I will be ordering it online this Friday and should receive it Monday Or Tuesday)...that said,I have yet to be happy with the kit I will have in the near future.;)

I like the Korg PAX4,as it's price tag seems fair enough,but for that same sum,I could just get a Korg Kronos(which is a complete,all-in-one studio in a box.)However though...Korg uses a very outdated Linux OS,so their workstations run very slow.
Ever since Korg's M3,their flagship workstations were always underpowered(not enough processing power and memory.)I absolutely loved my old M3,but with the Xpansion USB stick..well...that was a major overload for the OS and my M3 crashed.So...ever since then,I became really disgusted with Korg in general.

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just being a spaz... I can still return it for a refund but don't want to wait for another one and find out that's just the way it is...
Jimmy I just bought a Yamaha s670 can you tell me how to turn off the slow rotary or vibrato on all organ voices

Ask a Question