question for you all

Reaction score
Ok let me start off by saying i have never played a piano/keyboard/synthesizer... i have played guitar for 2 years... i am going to save money from my job and buy a synthesizer of some kind... i was wondering if keyboards and synthesizers are the same thing? A local music store in town sells keyboard lessons and i will be buying a synthesizer so i don't know if a synthesizer would be considered keyboard... sorry for the dumb question

Reaction score
"Keyboard" is the word covering all types of keyboards. So synthesizers, workstations, arrangers, stage pianos and so on, they're all keyboards. Just as salt, pepper, cinnamon (and so on) are all spices.

And that's not really a dumb question, took me some time to figure out as well, for some time I thought that Keyboards were stage pianos, and the ones with more sounds were Synthesizers. I didn't know about workstations and such back then either...

So, you can safely buy keyboard lessons, and playing on a synthesizer at home, since a synthesizer is a keyboard.

Reaction score
Ok, thanks.. that's good to hear... I thought i might have to learn the synthesizer all on my own..

Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure... it says on the website piano/keyboard lessons.. i sent them an email but they are closed on sundays so i'll have to wait.

Reaction score
"Keyboard" is the word covering all types of keyboards. So synthesizers, workstations, arrangers, stage pianos and so on, they're all keyboards. Just as salt, pepper, cinnamon (and so on) are all spices.

Dont' forget about MIDI controllers :p

Reaction score
"

So, you can safely buy keyboard lessons, and playing on a synthesizer at home, since a synthesizer is a keyboard.

Sargas is absolutely correct. Some aspects of piano or organ lessons apply to all the conventional forms of "keyboards". Those being: learning to be familiar with the keyboard, music notes and notation, scales, and
putting the basics all together to develop the skill and ability to play songs. A synthesizer is just another form of keyboard that can offer a lot of creative flexibility.

Ask a Question