Recommendations for someone who wants to play heavy metal.

Reaction score
Hi!

I’m an amateur guitarist who wants to buy a keyboard to play, basically, progressive metal. I like a more technical and agressive -- a more shred -- keyboard style, which resembles the sound of guitars (let me be crystal clear: I want to play keyboard because, basically, I’m too lazy and cheap to replace the strings of my guitar every other week)

I’m gonna give you a few examples of the kind of timbres I want to play:

(the solo which starts at 2:14)

(the solo which starts at 9:59)

(the one which starts at 6:46)

(the one from the beginning)

(the one which starts at 0:44 and the one at 8:39)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-Y9RTcPHZo

(the one at 4:39)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTF3tHymgsM

(the main riff)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41Z1amot0QM

(the main riff)

---

Could someone recommend me some models? I’m an absolute beginner, but it’s obvious I want to go beyond basics.

One more thing: are there substantial diferences between a 61-key instrument and a 88-key one in order to play what I want to play?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Unfortunately I cannot recommend specific keyboards, but I may give you some advice on what to look for.

First thing is to look for keyboards with editable presets. In short, synths. Either romplers or analog modeling synths. Among romplers (the most common type), arranger keyboards usually have limited editing of presets, if any. Avoid any model that won't allow you to create your own sounds or tweak factory presets. Romplers have short recorded samples of basic synth wave forms that are looped while you play the note, among other kinds of samples (including synth samples that already come with some processing done). Analog modeling synths are just like your regular VST synth on the PC. Those basic wave forms, some filter and good effects are all you need to make prog metal synth lead sounds.

The sound you're looking for is not that difficult to make. I think the most important part is the effect section. You'll want a keyboard with a solid effect section, otherwise you'll need to plug it into your pedalboard. Also, check the portamento function (automatic gliding of the notes into the next ones), as it's a common feature in monophonic lead sounds and you'll want to have it available.

On the keys, many players like light-weight keys for synth sounds. Since most 88-key instruments feature fully weighted keys, they are more appropriate for piano playing.

And if you have any type of computer available as a sound source, any keyboard that can act as a MIDI controller will do.

Last edited:
Reaction score
By the way, OP, are only interested in synth lead sounds or do you also want other common prog metal timbres, like pianos, organs, strings, choirs?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If he's really into it he'll eventually need both, a ROMpler and some sort of subtractive synth.

The Sledge, IMHO is the best deal in synths for the money these days.

I own one, currently tucked away for lack of space, but for a $1K synth it can keep up with all the best of them.

The keyboard has a terrific feel to it, with channel aftertouch. The knobs make it quick, easy and fun to tweak sounds into screamers on demand, and capacity of 999 stored patched with an actual numeric keypad makes it easy to bring up a voice on demand.

It's a real performer's instrument.

For a ROMpler, look at the Roland Juno DS. Available in 61, 76 and 88 key versions.

I have in the past owned a DS61 and traded that in for a DS88 which I kept and played the hell out of for 4 years until I sold it when downsizing.

The 88 has an excellent feel with their so called "Ivory Touch Surface Treatment" which pretty much wears off after a year or two but playability and value for money still make it a top choice for many performers.

I can't say much for the 61 keybed though. It's cheap and rattley and reminds me of a $300 Casio keybed.

Reaction score
If he's really into it he'll eventually need both, a ROMpler and some sort of subtractive synth.

The Sledge, IMHO is the best deal in synths for the money these days.

I own one, currently tucked away for lack of space, but for a $1K synth it can keep up with all the best of them.

The keyboard has a terrific feel to it, with channel aftertouch. The knobs make it quick, easy and fun to tweak sounds into screamers on demand, and capacity of 999 stored patched with an actual numeric keypad makes it easy to bring up a voice on demand.

It's a real performer's instrument.

For a ROMpler, look at the Roland Juno DS. Available in 61, 76 and 88 key versions.

I have in the past owned a DS61 and traded that in for a DS88 which I kept and played the hell out of for 4 years until I sold it when downsizing.

The 88 has an excellent feel with their so called "Ivory Touch Surface Treatment" which pretty much wears off after a year or two but playability and value for money still make it a top choice for many performers.

I can't say much for the 61 keybed though. It's cheap and rattley and reminds me of a $300 Casio keybed.
What about the XPS series? Are they worth it?

I think we have to consider where OP may live. If he is in the USA or Europe, he can go to town. In many other places, availability may be an issue and he might end up prefering to spend his money on something older. I myself bought a Juno-G that I'm about to reform, just because I wanted to have a general purpose rompler synth keyboard. My main instrument is a Roland FP-E50, which I'm not taking away from my bedroom for nothing and it doesn't feature editing (it can load Zenology user presets, though). I've already blown my budget with the E50 and only got the Juno-G because I had just sold my previous digital piano.

Ask a Question